Learn about ALS
Country
Ir
State
Ireland
City
Dublin
Hi all

I am a 25 year old male who unfortunately started googling my health issues and came to the scary conclusion I may have als.

Three days ago I started googling my problems. I have been having trouble breathing alot lately. It started about 4 months ago. At the start I just put it down to the change in weather. It occurs at rest and could affect me for a day or two. One day when I'm exercising I could have normal breathing the next I would be gasping for breath. It feels like weakness which lead me on the path to my self diagnosis.

I have been desperately looking for other possible reasons for my shallow breathing. However once I came across als I have found it hard to see I don't have it. The main reason I can't look past this is because I seem to have all the symptoms. The number one reason is I have complete atrophy of the muscle on my left thumb. There is no muscle whatsoever. I can bend my thumb so it touches the back of my hand. I have had this for as long as I can remember. I don't recall noticing this happening. I never taught anything of it I kind of just passed it off as a possible injury. I'm sure if I had it as a child my parents would have picked up on it. I can only say for sure that I have had it for at least eight years. It has never been painful.

I have had trouble with my shoulders for eight years. I have had two sugerys on one shoulder and dislocated the other. I play a high contact sport though so it's not that unusual. The muscles in the inside of my knee are concave and have been for as long as I can remember. I remember my aunty commenting on it possibly ten years ago. I have been having trouble with my ankles. I went over on my left one last year and it's still giving me trouble. I didn't give it enough resting time after damaging it the first time tho. I went over on my right ankle last week. This time I will give it time.

It's only when I started googling that I noticed the fisciculations. I get them very regularly. I may have just became so used to them I don't notice. Every avenue I turn I come to this conclusion. When I start looking back it all seems connected. I really hope its paranoia but right now I can't see past this.

hi :)

I can see that without any medical knowledge you could think all these things are connected, but I'm not sure how you connected them to ALS.

What does your doctor say? What breathing tests have you had done?

A doctor investigating each one of your concerns will help you find the cause and work out a solution with you.

I see no single thing even slightly suggesting ALS, but a doctor examining you and testing will give you the best advice.

I read nothing suggesting MND particularly, but some possibility of a hereditary connective tissue disorder. You might consult a medical geneticist.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for the reply.

From what I see I think it could be progressive muscle atrophy. When it's cold out I find it hard to talk I will slur my words. I also get heart palpitations.

Thanks for the help
I have been googling connective tissue disorders and it seems to make more sense. There is such a broad range of possibilities so I know it will be a long process. I will wait to see if it gets much worse before going to the doctor

Hang on...am I reading correctly?

You want people here to help with an ALS diagnosis, but you haven't seen a doctor? A real live one? In the flesh?

Dude, that should be top of your list, especially if everything is making you anxious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back