Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ny
City
Brooklyn
Hi, I've consistently experienced the following for six months. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

- body wide fasciculations, legs most common area
- perceived weakness in left leg, right shoulder, lower back (nothing noticeable by neurologist)
- difficulty breathing
- exercise routine cut to about 1/3
- constant fatigue that greatly affects my day
- difficulty paying attention, depression
- drool almost every night when asleep
- pinky and index fingers of both hands fall asleep easily, mild pain
- left side of stomach protrudes more than right
- left eye strain, esp when waking in the morning
- difficulty opening eyelids in morning
- fingers contract when yawning
- body jumps when surprised & makes small jerks in specific areas, particularly at nighttime

- all clean: mri, eeg, muscle biopsy of left thight, entire spine mri.
- emg showed slight slowing of right ulnar nerve, neurologist did not feel was indicative of an issue

I'm aware a basically clean emg will be a very positive point of focus.

33 year old male. Thank you for your input.

I don't see any ALS in there. Lots of weird stuff unrelated to ALS.

Perhaps you put the twitching into Google and it said "ALS." But lots of conditions have twitching. Even healthy people twitch. If you neurologist did an EMG and a physical exam and doesn't seem concerned about ALS, then neither should you.

Hi
please read the sticky post at the top of this forum section. I presume you didn't because it really did address your concerns. Anything on your list it didn't address are also not ALS symptoms.

Go back to your doctor and ask what is next. A neurologist has cleared you with an EMG, so chasing ALS is not productive for sorting out what is actually going on. Being here is also not productive.

All the best

I'm confused, Leffert. Did you come here to convince us that you have ALS, or did you come here to ask for our opinion?

Lefferts, in any field, you can find exceptions to any "rule." This is the human race we're chronicling here. The first-person accounts on the ALSA site are largely unedited, unvalidated and truly Ns of 1.

What we try to do here in the Forum stickies and in the posts of those of us who have read/answered a lot of others' posts, is provide the most typical scenarios, factors to consider, resources that can help, etc. We try to respond to posts of DIHALS, P/CALS and friends on an individual basis with the most pertinent feedback we have.

A counter-example is not an argument against the weight of the "most likely scenario" (which, FWIW, in your case, is most likely a mild neuropathy complicated by hyperawareness and subsequent health anxiety). There are also complex pain syndromes that manifest as sensitivity to touch. These are often diagnosed empirically, so you might ask your neuro or PCP about a trial of a very low gabapentin or tricyclic antidepressant dose.

All the best.
--Laurie

Yeah, I was just gonna say that.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back