armaalk is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Boston
State: MA
Interest: Other
Lightbulb Possible bulbar?

Hi everyone!

My symptoms started around Halloween with my left eye producing far more tears than the left and air coming out of my left eye socket whenever I blew my nose, which had never happened before. Also, occasionally when I talk my hearing in my left ear becomes strangely different, and when this happens this resolves eventually on its own.

(Hold on, bear with me)

Now, this has progressed into a minor droop on the left side of my face when my lips are both at rest and when I smile - one that those close to me notice but others can overlook - along with me slurring words more than normal.

I've been diagnosed with BFS in the past and still have widespread fasiculations, but I'm aware those are indicative of ALS as they are of anything else. I have no noticeable muscle weakness and did fine on a facial strength test not too long ago, but have never gotten an EMG.

My only question is, could my lip droop be ALS? My physician suggested it might be a Bell's Palsy, but when I looked that up that seemed to imply it had a sudden onset, which mine clearly didn't.

Should I seek a neurologist? I'm twenty years old so I realize ALS is an infinitesimal probability, but part of me is afraid that people might be dismissing my symptoms simply because of my age.

Thank you all for your time! It means a lot.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:13 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible bulbar?

You certainly don't have ALS by any stretch of the imagination. I'm surprised you would even think of it.

AT the top of this subforum you'll see a post permanently stuck there, called "Sticky: Read before posting." Read that, and I think you'll see that you're in the wrong place. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:28 PM #3 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thank you so much!

Forgive me for being a pest, since I know this is an ALS forum, but do you have any idea what this minor facial palsy could be? Or possibly direct me to some resources to try and figure it out? Or would I just be best off heading back to the doctor now that my symptoms have progressed?
Old 01-07-2016, 07:48 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

Not even close to ALS, this is great news.

We only talk about ALS here, that is the disease we know all too well. You do need to work with doctors to find out what is going on. I'm sure it's rather scary. All the best.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:17 PM #5 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thank you!

I do want to mention I had a clean MRI, but if I had two experienced people tell me I don't have ALS then I have nothing more to say.

I wish you all the best!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:27 PM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Tillie wrote: " I'm sure it's rather scary."

Ha Ha!
Tillie, you and Nurse Ratchet should handle all the DIHALS. That's really funny.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:03 PM #7 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Actually, forgive me, but one last question before I'm on my way.

I actually remember that for my facial strength test, I did fine at everything but could not keep the air in my mouth when they pressed on my cheeks. I don't know if that piece of information is important at all, but figure I'd mention it.

Because I know I've overstayed my welcome, I won't post any more in this thread. But to anyone who replies, know that I appreciate your response.

Thanks again, and I hope you all had a great New Year's!
Old 01-07-2016, 11:27 PM #8 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Also, my tongue can't move nearly as fast as it used to be able to.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:42 PM #9 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Those are really subjective measures that can't be properly assessed over the internet. See your physician.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:58 PM #10 (permalink)

City: Sandyville
State: WV
Diagnosed: 04/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
BlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the rough
City: Sandyville
State: WV
Diagnosed: 04/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
BlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the rough

Ask to be tested for myasthenia gravis. I don't see ALS in your description of your symptoms.

Be well,

Vince
Old 01-08-2016, 02:24 AM #11 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaalk View Post
Because I know I've overstayed my welcome, I won't post any more in this thread.
Try and remember this, we have said all we can and you need to move on now. Also remember you must not post in other people's threads. Staying here is very unhealthy for you.
Closed Thread

Tags
age, als?, bfs, bulbar, diagnosed, emg, eye, hearing, ice, muscle, muscle weakness, neurologist, nose, onset, slurring words, symptoms, test, weakness