Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
WA
City
Olympia
Hi, I've found detailed information on the condition to be rather lacking. Can anyone tell me if spastisity starts out slowly, gradually getting worse and worse in one limb, or does a person just wake up one day and certain muscles are completely spastic? Do spastic muscles ever hurt? Thanks,

This has been moved from newly diagnosed as your interest does not indicate you have an MND

the way it was described to us is this:

fasciculations are in a single muscle fiber but spacticity is in a group of muscles. these muscles cramp at will, cause increased muscle tone, and can be painful. my pals started with fascic in an area then it became spastic. the problem is both can be present at one time since fenerally the involve different processes...lmn vs umn

If you really want to get into details, and you have some training, go get the book "Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis" by [URL="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=d...rank"][COLOR=Black]Hiroshi Mitsumoto.[/COLOR]

My wife did not have any spasticity to note. She simply fell over one day because her foot muscle wouldn't keep her balance. There was little to note in the way of warning signs; one muscle after another simply became useless.
[URL="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=d...hor=Hiroshi+Mitsumoto+MD&sort=relevancerank"]

My Chris had a lot of spasticity

PALS vary in their levels of spasticity: some have low muscle tone, others have high tone or a mix, depending on which MNs are involved.
I didn't suddenly get high muscle tone, it was gradual.
Yes, it can be painful but there is antispasmodic medication.

I assume you are able-bodied and can talk and type easily, unlike most PALS, so doing further research should not be a problem for you.

Thank you everyone for these informative replies, and I'll getting the text suggested by Atsuki. One more question - does anyone know if one can have cramps in small groups of muscle fibers, causing pain, but without any apparent cramping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back