Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Minnesota
City
Duluth
Hi everyone,

I'm concerned I have als and I know you can't diagnos me but I wanted to know if it sounds like anything you guys might have experienced or seen.

Backstory; I'm a 31 yr old female I have been disabled from the age of 13 months due to a blood clot on my spine from mid chest down. So I cannot feel anything chest down. 2 years ago I had a friend pass away from this horrible disease and now with some of the symptoms I'm having I'm concerned since without feeling in my legs I don't know if it could have been there all along plus I went to my Dr and without any tests said I have als. I have scheduled to consult a new Dr as I felt was very fast and since then went to er because I was dizzy and fell out of my chair and they did a brain MRI all clean and blood work all normal. However I am seeing a neurologist but not for 3 months because of my er visit.

Symptoms I'm worried about:
1. Weakness in my arm I push my chair and in my dominate arm I've noticed having a hard time lifting things and gets almost like fatigue very fast but the feeling is on my upper arm and some times forearm only on right side

2. Spasms on my spine feeling like my muscle going to pull away from my spine at times especially if I apply a cold pack or hot pack

3. Lastly while I know rare I've noticed lisping for a month now... Started out Christmas tree tounge because I guess my mouth felt tight and I was using my tounge to stabilize it or something but after a month of that I feel I'm having a hard time speaking where after talking I lisp some words especially with s or c in them sometimesmis pronounce words I know if I'm reading allowed no one else notices just me but I can whistle and tent cheeks and roll my tounge like a taco but I dont know if at first if balblr or even end term if you would have symptoms like this tounge wise with lisping but still able to whistle and all that stuff. I have no other reason to suddenly be lisping.

Anyways I know my arm weakness even though my Dr said als with no clinical weakness or tests could be an injury but the lisping is scaring me with what my Dr said...I really just need to know if I should actually be concerned or if my Dr was in left field. Thank you in advance

I'm so sorry you have so many health issues already.

So far none of what you describe is how ALS starts, so I would definitely see a new doc.

Thank you Tillie for responding :) its been really difficult with the lisping especially my Dr said that's an early sign even if no one else hears it and its only sometimes with certain words. And since my Dr said I had it just looking at me and my friend died of it I was on edge :) I will keep you posted if you like I do have a Dr appointment in a month and nuro in 3

Lisping is not an early sign.

Hi again, I just wanted to update you...I had a brief exam today with an Emg and ncv I think it's called on both arms. The neurologist told me then and there that if I had als it would show up in the limbs even if started in mouth. After the first arm he said I don't have als or anything related to it. He still finished with my other arm though noted I have a hurt elbow nerve wierd but not als. Anyway I'm still trying to accept he was thorough enough I am happy with the result and just wanted to thank you guys for helping me through.

Thanks for the update Lady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back