Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Seattle
Hi, I'm really sorry, I've lost my mind again.

I'm concerned that I'm developing bulbar onset ALS.

I've been noticing that I'm chocking every so often on my saliva when trying to swallow, in addition to feeling like I'm not getting all of the saliva "down," as if there's still a bit of it stuck in the back of my throat.

I have not had any issues eating food, and have not choked (more than once or twice?) on a sizable quantity of water in the past week or so. I read the sticky, it said that noticeable saliva related problems happen later on in the development of the illness, but again am having nagging doubts in the back of my head. Does this sound at all like ALS at all?

As grateful as I am anxious,
Roland

ALS? Not likely.

You should see a GP doctor who is an MD. Ask them to evaluate your swallowing, and also ask them to evaluate you for Health Anxiety.

Yeah... You're right. I don't know, it's very difficult to get a doctor to do anything for someone like me -- I spent a few months in psych hospital regarding Health Anxiety.

It is what it is I guess.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond,

Roland

Roland,
If you were in the hospital, you should have been discharged stable on meds. That seems not to have happened, so call whoever admitted you and tell them you need an eval for your drug regimen.

You do not have ALS or any motor neuron disease. Everyone here could make themselves choke or gag on saliva or water if their mind was focused on that.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie --

It's comforting that people are so adamantly against the idea of my having ALS.

I am truly grateful for your reponse,
Roland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back