Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NC
City
Hendersonville
Hey guys! First I would like to tell you a little about myself. I am 23 with a background of horrible anxiety and know I am concerned about als. It all started with a normal twitch in my right arm then lasted all night. Next day it was in my leg, so of course Google confirmed my worst fears. It seemed like immediately the twitches spread everywhere, mostly in my legs though, they have been non stop for about two weeks. Some of them I can't see, some almost hurt , some are buzzy and gurgling,bubbly. Mild aches everywhere almost like slight aching in my left leg. Pins and needles sometimes, popping joints, stiffness in morning, sore shoulders, and now the scariest one is this constant feeling of phlegm (almost like post nasal drip) but I can't swallow it down....like it's stuck up by my uvula. I can swallow food/liquid , my friends say that I talk fine(I've always had a nasal voice) I went to the doctor and reflexes are normal, they said my potassium was at 3.3 and was a little low so they gave me supplements but they have not stopped the weird leg twitching. Now since three days ago I seem to not be able to swallow the phlegm down and cough and it still nothing comes out. This has all given me extreme anxiety and lack of sleep. I have lost 10 pounds in a week from being overly stressed. I would be so grateful for any advice. Should I go to the er? I need a referral to see a neuro which my doc wouldn't give me. Idk what to do. Thank you for taking the time to read I know it's a long post.

Krista, there are some pretty good reasons your doctor wouldn't send to a neuro for an EMG.

If you do go to the ER, be sure to tell them you need anti-anxiety treatment.

People twitch. That's just a fact of life. You don't have ALS. You have anxiety. Get that fixed.

For details, I suggest you read the sticky post at the top of this subforum called "Read Before Posting."

Hi, Krista,

You have done a good job in answering your own post:) but here's mine:
10 lb is a lot to lose in one week, and we all need sleep. I don't think the ER will help too much but I would get your "horrible anxiety" addressed. Get a therapy referral (and short-term zolpidem script) from your doc. Most nutrients are best absorbed from foods so some smoothies/fruit ices at a good consistency for you wouldn't go amiss. Use a big straw. You're probably dehydrated as well and that doesn't help dry throat.

In addition to talk therapy, you could try massage, acupuncture, Lomi Lomi, whatever appeals to you. But you should do something. Consider this: the amount of health and ability to do things that you have, most people reading this would give a lot to have. Don't throw it away. It's not a neuro you need, nor these forums.

All the best.

--Laurie

Thank you guys so much. I am on Prozac now which is not helping a bit. I have to wait another 2 weeks to see my shrink on med management to give me something that will work. As far as the twitching in my legs they twitch with a cramp and come on strong (some are light buzzing) but they are constant. Sometimes it feels like my whole calf muscle cramped then released with a crampy twitch/spasm type thing idk.i also have weird jaw aches and some tounge tingling/twitch underneath tounge some on tip. I am sorry if I have wasted anybody's time. I honestly do greatly appreciate your replies. I know I need to get this anxiety under control before i waste away to nothing.

Oh and I will read the sticky thank you

Prozac (fluoxetine) is one of the more "energizing" SSRIs, which may not be exactly what you need. And any SSRI can produce sx such as you describe.

There are several SSRIs and one often works better than another for any given person; Paxil comes to mind as one you might ask about. There are also other classes of ADs that can be tried if SSRIs don't work. Above all, if you are consistent with appointments and followups, you will find the regimen that helps most.

Yeah I was on Effexor (awful)and Ritalin (never again)before I was put on the Prozac and it is truly awful. I feel like I am a zombie on the outside but on the inside I am a wreck with racing thoughts and anxiety I can't express. No outlet. In ways it has made it worse. I have watched so many family members suffer and pass away from disease (all extremely close) and I feel I am waiting the inevitable. My sister also has MS but she is doing well. The twitching wouldnt bother me so much if it wasn't accompanied by the cracking voice and swallowing down phlegm issue.

Hey guys I have a new issue, I now am feel like a pressure sensation in throat...like someone is pressing on my throat. Earlier I felt like I had a ball of mucus that couldn't go go down. I'm pretty anxious about it. Im not sure how bulbar starts, but if it's with swallowing I may have a swallowing issue. I hope I'm not bothering anyone with my concerns but just want some clarification that this isn't bulbar. I have have the pressure "lump in the throat" feeling for three days now. Another way to describe it is Like someone is squeezing lightly on throat.(no pain) feeling or throat closing up, but can breath fine. I am driving my fiancé up a wall. Also my tonsil is pretty big on my right side but the weird sensation is coming from lower than that. Can somebody tell me this is not what I think it is. Also thank you guys very much for taking the time to read my posts. Sorry again if I'm bugging yall. Just about a week away to get new anxiety medication that will hopefully do the trick.

What does the Sticky say about swallowing?

One more odd symptom doesn't change the "no ALS; it's health anxiety" answer from before.

And, yes, you are bugging us: this was a silly thing to add when you already had an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back