Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Us
City
Us
Hello I am a 20 year old female. I began having body wide twitches about a week ago. I also felt weakness in my right leg when walking and I don't like putting pressure on that leg because it shakes and feels weak. The muscle itself also feels stiff when I am walking. I went to my GP who saw no weakness, but ordered me an EMG. The EMG was normal, but I know it does not detect UMN issues. I have not slept in days and can barely eat because I fear I have ALS and the weakness in my leg is not getting better. I haven't left my bed.

I can still sprint up the stairs and walk on my toes but the right leg seems to shake when I do anything that requires me to use my lower right leg muscles.

Scooter-
Did you read the sticky at the top of this forum? It answers everything for you.

With regards to pure UMN issues not detectable by EMG. Your doctor can tell straight up with a physical examination. It's really obvious. To see you write the word "sprint"- as in "I can"- indicates no ALS.

It sounds like you may have a whopping case of health anxiety.

ShiftKicker-- Can't ALS develop slowly and soon I may not be able to sprint? Even when I am sitting I feel weaker doing any sort of movement with my right foot. I can't stay off this forum and I see people saying they had difficulty/felt weird walking.

Twitching is too common to be diagnostic of anything.
If you can 'sprint' up stairs you don't have weakness. I cannot walk: that's weakness.

Your emg was clean; 'weakness' is a LMN issue. So it wouldn't matter if an emg missed UMN issues because your 'weakness' would be a LMN issue.

Go to sleep. Leave Doc Google alone.

Do you think there's any chance I have it?

My right leg trembles when I do things and my left does not.

The people who are responding to you are using their precious energy to keep typing the same response. You do not have als. Please see your doctor if you have further questions.

Honey please read the stickies and know what is written there is our official stand.
Read all you like online of course, that is your choice.
But you have been answered both by a doctor and by people here who are actually not just scared to death, but are actually dying from the disease. We know ALS very well and I'm so happy to tell you that you don't have a single symptom. Nope not even one.

That signals it is time for you to politely say thank you and leave. Go back to your doctor and admit that you have extreme anxiety and you can be treated for that very successfully.

all the best

Honey please read the stickies and know what is written there is our official stand.
Read all you like online of course, that is your choice.
But you have been answered both by a doctor and by people here who are actually not just scared to death, but are actually dying from the disease. We know ALS very well and I'm so happy to tell you that you don't have a single symptom. Nope not even one.

That signals it is time for you to politely say thank you and leave. Go back to your doctor and admit that you have extreme anxiety and you can be treated for that very successfully.

all the best
i think it would be best if the stickies were renamed, most forums have that title and it usually tells you about the rules... title could be more straight forward... "if you think you have als read this'?

What if the slight weakness when standing/walking is the first sign?

Coke, the important sticky is and has been titled PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. As you know not of what you speak, please cease speaking in other than your thread.

Scooter. You have no ALS symptoms. Go away, stay away. In good health. Lucky you.

Folks might get rude if you don't leave.

Understand me. You have been given something people on this site would kill for; A clean bill of health. YOU DO NOT HAVE ALS. Now go and celebrate the fact you have a long life ahead of you. Go see your doc and get help with your extreme anxiety.
Vincent

Coke, the important sticky is and has been titled PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING.

DITTO that.

Could not be more plain a title if we tried!

Coke, the important sticky is and has been titled PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. As you know not of what you speak, please cease speaking in other than your thread.

Scooter. You have no ALS symptoms. Go away, stay away. In good health. Lucky you.

Folks might get rude if you don't leave.
I just joined because I'm also experiencing some symptoms that concern me and the neurologist mentioned ALS as "very unlikely". But he brought it up, not me, so needless to say it concerned me!

Anyhow, after reading through this forum I don't think I'll be posting a thread about it, other than muscle twitches that are so strong they are leaving me with some pains at the point of the twitching, none of the other symptoms I'm experience seem to align with ALS, and I'm not not experiencing any muscle weakness, which if my reading is correct seems to be an almost required symptom.

Anyhow, this sub-forums title is perfect and helped me to immediately know where to look. I'd like to humbly offer feedback that you good folks might have to tolerate a lot fewer people who don't have ALS obsessing about whether they do, if you'd similarly change the title of that thread from "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING" to exactly what you've got the forum titled ' "Do I Have ALS? Is This ALS? START HERE". That people coming here for this purpose will read.

Because if there's one thing a forum can do to absolutely guarantee people won't read something, it's title it "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING" :). People just assume it's going to be a bunch of boring forum rules, and everyone ignores it.

Take care folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back