Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
Hello,
Hoping someone may be able to clarify my symptoms as I am starting to worry about mnd after seeing my doctor.
I have read the stickies and still have concerns.
A year ago I started having strong twitching randomly all over my body and was told it was benine and not to worry within 6 months my leg started to ache and the skin looked like it was vibrating side to side very slightly, not my leg just the skin on it seemed to shake. For what ever reason I noticed I had a bit of a limp and would pause at the top of a staircase as I didn't have confidence in the strength of my knee. I talked to my doctor about it again and he said not to worry. 3 more months pass and I start to feel lots of fast twitching in my chest after I sneeze or cough while still twitching everywhere else. Then I noticed my outer thigh had a large area where it looks like the muscle had been scooped out but it is still hard when flexed. Went back to the doctor and showed him and he said it is definitely atrophy and referred to to a neurologist right away. I asked him his thoughts and he said it was neurological as all my blood work was fine. I can still walk on my toes and heels but get exhausted after walking for 5 minutes. My leg feels like it is burning sometimes and always aches. I'm pretty confused with all the conflicting symptoms I have. Does anyone have any thoughts if this could actually be MND? To recap ... Twitching atrophy and weakness but the weakness it not to the point of total muscle failure. I am 44.

Two things:
You're certainly doing the right thing by following up with your doctors. Looks like you're got something going on there.
But don't leap onto ALS. There are plenty of other things to rule out first.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad there are other things to rule out first because my doctor was oddly silent when I asked what else could cause weakness twitching and atrophy. I'll try to remain hopeful until I see the neurologist.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back