Old 11-30-2015, 09:47 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Ann Arbor
State: MI
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
Delaney is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Default Thank you for your time. A lingering concern.

Good evening to all,

I have read the information and rules and will be brief. I feel the level of experience of everyone here is invaluable.

I am a 44 year old female. I have had what has felt like twitching/pulsating/vibrating sensations in my throat since the end of June. This followed some leg tingly and weakness that subsided. Back issues upon further investigation, explained a bit more of my leg issues.

Troubling me most is the ongoing throat issues. I have seen an ENT and been given an exam, flouroscopy swallow test, and soft tissue ct scan of the throat (negative). Also, I have pursued a visits with a Neurologist whose specialty is EMG testing. She is not a neuromuscular neurologist, but a very good neurologist. She sent me for a litany of bloodwork, including MG, RA, Proteins, on and on. No blip.

What worries me about the throat issues is the fluttering that comes on in waves. And it radiates to my neck and lower throat. The 2nd of my two appointments with the neurologist included an EMG of my upper and lower limbs. Also a nerve conduction test. She told me these were clean, and the results are "final." She uses the word "final" often. I was also tested for Lyme, because the throat symptoms seemed to mimic those sx. Again nothing.

I have read carefully, several places on this forum, that clean EMG - no ALS. Also that in the stickies addressing folks who have said they had ALS with clean EMG's to be far fetched and questionable. I was in line with this thought - and have tiny doubts with regards to Bulbar. Especially when it comes to women.

Should I accept that this truly is some other issues albeit anxiety or heart or ? and close the door on this ALS shadow looming? Or revisit?
My wife thinks its time, but I really felt I wanted to address it towards people here who know this subject very well.
Thank you for your time,
Delaney
Old 11-30-2015, 09:58 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Sandyville
State: WV
Diagnosed: 04/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
BlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the rough
City: Sandyville
State: WV
Diagnosed: 04/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
BlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Thank you for your time. A lingering concern.

I don't see ALS in your symptoms at all. Those "feelings" you describe are likely just that, feelings. If it were bulbar you would have certain inabilities as the muscles are affected. You would likely experience swallowing difficulties and/or slurred speech. Wouldn't be feelings but anatomical malfunction. I understand your fears but from what you describe I don't think ALS should be on your list.

All the best to you,

Vince
Old 11-30-2015, 10:10 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute

No ALS there, Delaney. The EMG is, indeed, final.

Stick with your doctors until you're satisfied. But don't worry about ALS.

I wish I could diagnose you or tell you what the problem is, but 1) I'm not a doctor, and 2) we have to give our time to those who are dealing with ALS, which you're not.

Good luck. Get better. --Mike
Old 11-30-2015, 10:17 PM #4 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thank you, Vince and Mike - you sweet guys.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:28 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

One last one piling on. I know bulbar ALS very well as my husband had it.

Your throat issues are not even remotely like the onset of bulbar issues and I truly hope this puts your mind at ease.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:54 AM #6 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thank you, Tillie, for responding. You would know very well. I will take this very much to heart.
Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, back, bulbar, clean emg, emg, female, flu, heart, information, lyme, neurologist, swallow, symptoms, test, testing, twitching, wanted, weakness, women