Old 11-28-2015, 02:24 AM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Toronto
State: Ontario
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
choi0316 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
choi0316 is on a distinguished road
Default Worried of Bulbar ALS

Hello, I'm a 20 years old male who is worried about Bulbar onset ALS.

Since about 3 weeks ago, I've been noticing that I occasionally do not pronounce some words properly (not articulating strong enough), though when I try to pronounce it again, I can say them fine most of the time.

As I am worried, since then, I'm constantly trying out tongue strength tests like moving it side by side rapidly, pushing tongue out and pulling it back in rapidly, saying lalala papapa tatata fast, pushing on cheeks with tongue, etc.

I can do those tests with ease, but I cannot get my mind off Bulbar ALS. No one has told me yet that I sound drunk or said something about my speech, but I'm keep thinking that I just have not progressed enough for others to notice that I'm significantly slurring my speech. When I record myself talking, I can definitely hear I sound slightly different than usual here and there.

Also I've been swallowing my saliva the wrong way more often than before, just enough to cause mild discomfort that usually goes away as soon as I clear my throat and cough out once. I have no problem eating food/liquid though. Would this just be anxiety if I have absolutely no problem eating?

Though I've heard Bulbar ALS occurs to females over the age 60 most of the time; is this true? How fast does a Bulbar ALS usually progress? Can Bulbar ALS occur to a 20 years old male? I have no family history of any form of ALS.

Thank you so much in advance!
Old 11-28-2015, 02:53 AM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried of Bulbar ALS

You're not the first-ever bulbar ALS onset case in a 20y male, no. And what you describe isn't, either.

Most likely, you are stressed, anxious, introspective, aren't hydrating enough for dry winters and have gotten yourself into a maze of speculation.

May I suggest that one of the paths out, is to visit and bring some holiday cheer to a nursing home or assisted living facility, where you will get a better sense of your good health and great fortune.

Best,
Laurie
Old 11-28-2015, 08:26 AM #3 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: By the beach
State: Western Australia
Diagnosed: 4/2016
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another Motor Neuron Disease.
Green Queen is on a very distinguished roadGreen Queen is on a very distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
City: By the beach
State: Western Australia
Diagnosed: 4/2016
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another Motor Neuron Disease.
Green Queen is on a very distinguished roadGreen Queen is on a very distinguished road

Totally agree with Laurie.
Stress and anxiety make us think the worst.

I have PLS. My father in law lives in a nursing home.
I feel like the Goddess of Good Health when I visit.

Do yourself a favour and give a visit a go.

All the best, Janelle x
Old 11-28-2015, 10:13 AM #4 (permalink)

City: San Diego
State: CA
Diagnosed: 08/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
fionae is on a very distinguished road
City: San Diego
State: CA
Diagnosed: 08/2015
fionae is on a very distinguished road

I am dying of Bulbar ALS.

Please try to get some perspective on what you may
feel your problems are.

Try to contribute to the world around you.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:16 PM #5 (permalink)

City: Virginia Beach
State: Virginia
Diagnosed: 09/2014
Sunvista is on a distinguished road
City: Virginia Beach
State: Virginia
Diagnosed: 09/2014
Sunvista is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed with bulbar ALS over a year ago. My voice has gone soft and monotonous and I really have to struggle to speak certain phrases or combinations of words or letters such as "st". People around me tell me they can understand what I'm saying yet they constantly ask me to repeat myself so I know I'm progressing negatively. I also drool at night, choke on my own saliva while reclined and constantly have to clear my throat. Lately my face feels expressionless, frozen or "masking" as it is termed. I also feel generally slow and heavy. Coincidentally these are all symptoms of Parkinson's disease which my local neurologist wants to begin treating me for despite my ALS diagnosis from Johns Hopkins Neurology. I've already tried treatment with Mestinon for Myasthenias Gravas (another speech disturbance) with no affect. You could have bulbar ALS but it could be a multitude of things causing your Dysarthria. Time will tell. I've had three EMGs but all were inconclusive. Two of them concentrated on my arms and legs but I have no limb atrophy at all. The one done on my neck and face showed some diminished conductivity of those nerves and so the diagnoses of bulbar ALS. I'll know in a month or two whether the Parkinson's treatment is having any affect.
Closed Thread

Tags
age, als, anxiety, back, bulbar, bulbar als, bulbar onset, eating, family, family history, food, ice, onset, problem, saliva, speech, swallowing, tests, tongue, worried, wrong