Reason
Other
Country
UK
State
London
City
London
Hi, I am new to this forum and was unsure whether to post or not as I know this question probably gets asked many times and must be frustrating to the kind people taking the time to answer the questions. I have been twitching all over for a month following a month period of acute anxiety. I have had these periods before but have never suffered from twitching previously. It started one day with twitching in my stomach which led me to Google (I know big mistake!) and within a day or two the twitching was everywhere but mostly concentrated in both my legs. I consulted a Neurologist who examined me. Apart from symmetrical brisk reflexes she said my exam was normal. She ordered an EMG 'to put our minds at rest'. I think she could see I was extremely anxious and did note that that could be a reason for the brisk reflexes. The EMG/NCS came back normal. I didn't actually feel myself twitch during the test, which worried me as I thought it may affect the results (strange, I usually twitch all the time) I had 8 muscles tested on both sides of my body. The doctor told me my twitching could be anxiety related but unfortunately the good news of a clean EMG didn't stop the twitching. I saw a psychiatrist who started me on anxiety medications and for three days the twitching did completely stop, only for it to then start again:( It's been a month now and I don't feel anxious anymore, but no matter what I do I cannot make these twitches go away for good.I feel them in new areas i didn't feel them in before. I only feel them when sitting or lying down. If I lie down and meditate they pretty much stop, but after that they continue again. If they are anxiety related, why do they occur even when I am not anxious? Also on some days I have a buzzing feeling in my left leg but that is not constant, it comes and goes. My doc suggested if it continues to go back in 2 months time but that I should really try and forget about it as he things it won't come to anything. Unfortunately I am having trouble doing this, which led me to this forum. I guess my question is 'is there still a possibility that this could be ALS? Please forgive me for posting a question that probably seems trivial when some of the members on here have been diagnosed with serious diseases :(

SENLIK: No ALS.

Twitching is common in many conditions, especially stress and anxiety. Healthy people twitch. It's not diagnostic.

The EMG was clean--definitive proof you don't have ALS.

Thanks for your reply. Is an EMG always definitive proof? My doctor told me it wasn't but that the chances of it being ALS after a clean EMG was 'low'. I guess this is part of the reason why I have had problems moving on from this.

Yes, the EMG is totally definitive. Plus, you had absolutely no symptoms of ALS. Your doctor should not have wasted resources on doing the EMG.

Your doctor won't speak in absolutes because the lawyers have taught her never to take a position.

Senlik, I'm a perfectly healthy 60-year-old who has had twitches and jerks for 35 years. It amuses me when a muscle just suddenly moves on its own. They do that, especially as we get older.

The hallmark of ALS is actual serious weakness. For example, your foot can't pick itself off the floor, no matter how hard you try, it just won't move because the nerve sending the command signal from the brain has been destroyed.

Move on. Enjoy life. Stop worrying about fatal diseases.

I promised my self that I would not respond to anymore of the '' Do I have ALS" posts but could not help myself on this one Senlik. The doctors did the tests and let you know that you do no have ALS and therefore you should trust them and Mike. As far as the twitching goes, anxiety does cause it. My husband has ALS and I have had several twitching episodes myself and I don't have it. It happens when I am anxious and when I am sitting relaxing. I know I don't have ALS but I do have anxiety over my husbands disease. I started n anxiety meds. It took about a month but I am doing much better and life is getting easier. The CALS on this forum can tell you that a new calmness has taken over.

What I am tying to say is that I know anxiety pretty well and have had it at different points in my life since childhood. Things go wrong in our life and our body and mind take it's toll. We are in charge and have to do what is needed to put our life back together and move on. Reading Doctor google for symptoms and coming up with a rare and deathly disease is right at the top of the list for severe anxiety issues.

Please take it from me, this is not the forum or the disease to choose. It takes away something from everyone involved almost daily. You are very lucky and your doctors have told you that you do not have it. Take care of your anxiety issues, live your life to the fullest and seek help whenever you need it. You do not know how important a future is for yourself until you have been told you have something standing in the way of that future.

London is a wonderful place. I visited there last year. There is so much to get out and see and the beauty is all around you just waiting on you to get out there and enjoy it.

Once again, thanks. My twitches are all day long every day. Could thinking about the twitches be enough for them to occur? I just don't understand why they are happening, so hard to ignore. Like a vicious circle. Maybe a Somatoform disorder? Anyway I will take your advice and try my best to move on and enjoy life. Best wishes to you and the other members of this forum

Scared wife. Thank you for your reply. I am very sorry to hear about your husband. I do realise how trivial my worries are compared to others. I am sending you and your husband positive thoughts and I will take your advice and follow it. I really appreciate you taking the time to write it, it means a lot to me.

Absolutely not even remotely like ALS I'm very happy to report.

Twitches mean NOTHING. We are not just saying this, it's absolutely true.

Honey your post reeks of high anxiety. So you think you are relaxed at times but you are full of anxiety, therefore your relaxed states are subjective - they are just more relaxed than when you are highly anxious. The body is amazing in response to anxiety, it can do pretty much anything.

Get back to the psychiatrist and take a print out of this thread with you. Be prepared to really work deeply with him/her and you can get over this.

Scaredwife - you gave a wonderful reply here from the heart!

Sorry, I am back again:(( I have noticed sometimes that if I flick my calves they will sometimes twitch just once. I am worried about this inducing of twitches as this was one of the things my neuro did during the examination except she couldn't induce them. Do you still think thar this is insignificant in the light of a normal EMG? Thanks

I hope the mods will close this thread now.

We can't spend time on your anxiety I'm so sorry. You do not have ALS symptoms and truly for your sake as well as those who are dealing with a terminal illness please just go back to your doctor and admit how anxious you are and what you are doing to yourself.

All the best

I did see my psychiatrist but he wasn't really interested. Maybe I will find a new one to help me. Sorry for bothering you with this. I will work harder on my anxiety issues. Thanks for listening and my sincere best thoughts and wishes to the members of this forum xoxo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back