Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Missouri
Hello All,

First off, I would like to thank those on the forums who consistently take time out of their day to help worrisome people like me and analyze each individual case with such care.

As for me, I am a 22 year old male and my episode started about six months ago in June while I was under a lot of stress (working seven days a week). It began with a constant twitching in both of my calves which freaked me out. Because I was unaware twitching was not indicative of ALS, I went to my GP and saw a Neurologist in August to ease my nerves. The EMG and clinical test done by the Neurologist was "all clear" aside from brisk reflexes in both knees.

Although I was relieved somewhat, I still have body wide twitching all over my body (oddly enough, not as prevalent in my calves), but again this is not what scares me. Instead, i also suffer from a variety of other issues, such as : muscle cramps in various parts of my body and constant muscle tightness again in my left calf/A feeling as if i slur my speech (nobody has said anything to me about this)/A nasally sounding voice/ sporadic neck pain/ constant joint popping.

My biggest complaint or scare is when I attempt to do calf strength tests. I am able to do standing calf raises in both of my legs- but I can steadily hold my balance and strength exponentially longer on my right leg than my left. Again, my left calf is the part of my body that has constantly gave me trouble throughout this terrible experience. It is a feeling as if the left calf "gives out" with no pain or fatigue involved- it just cannot sustain that position like my right calf can.

I have tried not to post about this as I feel there are others in much more need of help than I, but my anxiety and stress has gotten the best of me. If any of you can give me their opinion on these symptoms, I would be much appreciative.

Regards

The odds of a 22 year old getting ALS are in the being struck by lightning while being eaten by a shark realm. You also have seen a neurologist who gave you the all clear. Don't worry about this and enjoy your youth.
Vincent

You're right, WorryMan. Anxiety and stress have gotten the better of you. See your GP.

I'm very glad you had a clean EMG and other tests.
Trust your GP and Neuro. They will be able to help you, you will be pleased to know that as there is no ALS, we can't help you.
All the best, Janelle

Thank you all very much for the reassurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back