cholden90 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Winthrop
State: Massachusetts
Interest: Other
Default Very concerned

Hello,

I am a 24 year old male who is presently concerned about the possibility of having ALS. I am a nurse and often have a tendency to overthink things, but being a nurse, I also have a tendency to notice symptoms a lot more than other people would.

My symptoms

1. Muscle spasms in both upper and lower extremities, on right and left sides
2. Muscle aches in both upper extremities
3. Occasional twitching.

I do have some anxiety, I work out every day and do take BP meds (hctz) which can sometimes dehydrate me, but lately I have been drinking more to counteract this, but to no avail. I do not have any difficulty moving or performing fine motor functions, but I am concerned that this might only be because i am in the initial stages? Please somebody help me. I will schedule an appt with my GP, but I feel the need to have some credibility before I go.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:10 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Vincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to behold
Vincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Very concerned

At 24 you would almost certainly not have ALS. ALS is a disease of motor neurons. Muscles are not getting signals so they don't contract. They don't hurt, they don't tingle or go numb. they just don't work. Enjoy youth, you don't belong here.
Vincent
Old 11-14-2015, 04:51 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute

1. Muscle spasms in both upper and lower extremities, on right and left sides
2. Muscle aches in both upper extremities
3. Occasional twitching.

Vince is right. I think that, when you present to your doctor with these symptoms, she might run some tests to find out if she can find something to treat. But if you say you suspect ALS, she'll turn away so you don't see her as she rolls her eyes and shakes her head.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:59 PM #4 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

I do not mean to upset anyone but considering what I have read online, I do believe some of my concerns are justified. Many of the ALS websites discuss muscle spasms as being a symptom. Normally, I would shake this off and say it could be a number of different things, but considering that I am getting them in my arms and legs, I do not know, it just scares me.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:23 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

1. As a nurse, why would you leap from common symptoms to a rare disease? That's a rhetorical question that doesn't need an answer. You need to rule out a whole boatload of other causes. See your doctor.
2. I agree that your concerns are real, you might have something going on there. It isn't ALS, though.
3. We live with ALS 24/7 and share our experiences and study it. We've developed a "readme" file that you should read. It's a sticky post stuck at the top of this Do I Have ALS subforum and is called "New Members Read This Before Posting."
Old 11-14-2015, 11:17 PM #6 (permalink)

As a nurse working a hospital do you tend to jump from elevated temperature immediately to ebola. That is what you are doing. As we say around here, When you hear hooves think horses not zebras. See your doctor about this instead of self diagnosing. Doctors hate competition.
Vincent
Closed Thread

Tags
als, anxiety, ice, meds, muscle, spasms, stages, symptoms, twitching, work