Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
pa
City
pa
Hello. I had posted a year ago when this started but my thread is closed. It has been a little over a year since my swallowing problems started. To recap: 2 weeks of allergy like symptoms with hoarseness and losing my voice. I had twitching bodywide which I believe is anxiety or mineral deficiency realated. My swallowing problem is the palate and tongue not sealing and causing fluid to go into back of nose. It started with food and drink but now is just drink.

Anyhow, I have had 2 swallowing studies a year apart, an emg of limbs and tongue early this year, seen my neuro twice and 2 ENTs.

1st swallowing study was normal. Most recent showed mild nasopharyngeal reflux which is exactly what I'm feeling. My emg was good at that time.

My neuro says no ALS, and I believed him for many months but now I'm not sure with my most recent ENT visit who says everything is working right, it's neurological, see your neurologist.

I have adapted my swallowing so I can do it effectively but can no longer "chug" or "gulp". It has never gone away but seems better than when it started, but that may be my adaptation. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Believe your neurologist. He's seen the EMGs and you say the swallowing issues have improved. With ALS nothing improves, it just gets worse.
Vincent

Have you seen a gastro to r/o GERD/EE? If not, that would be my next move.

Thanks for your replies. I have been under the care of a gastro for many years; I do have severe gerd. I just find it so odd that this pretty much happened overnight and has never gone away.

Like I said, I've adjusted my swallowing to make it easier but liquids still go up the back of my nose a bit. Food was doing that when this started, but no longer does.

I have been monitored for MS due to other symptoms for many years and I see my neuro in 6 more months so I guess I will see how things are then and see what he says. Not sure what else to do.

Does anyone have any other ideas for me? I've requested a referral for a neuromuscular appointment. I'm not sure what else to do. Thanks.

HC, welcome back. Believe your doctor.

I'm afraid we don't have the expertise or the time to answer non-ALS questions. We really can't speculate on what you might look for. This isn't a general health forum, and we don't have the resources to let it become one.

Thank you sir. I understand and appreciate what you are saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back