Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
iowa
City
des moines
Hi, starting last October i started having tongue twitching which lasted till almost April. then in July i started having extreme twitching im the arch of my right foor which is still active but not as much as it had been. starting at the beggining of October this year i started haveing twitching in my upper right eye lid which has since went away. and also twitching in the upper thumb joint which causes the thumb to move. My wife thinks im a wack jab for thinking ALS. but i do have a neuro appt. but not until January 13th. so i guess im just seeing what you think, if i have reason to worry or should listen to my wife that im a wack jab!

thanks, Jason

Jason hon, just below the button you clicked on was a sticky post titled New Members PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING.

I know you are worried, but twitching truly doesn't mean anything on it's own.

If it is going to be hard for you to wait until January, go back to your doctor and discuss your anxiety as this can be treated and may well be the cause of your twitching.

All the best

You should definitely listen to your wife.

Is it accurate to say if the twitching was related to ALS I would already have obvious weakness? And if I had twitching and atrophy in my foot I would already have obvious foot drop?

Listen to your wife. You haven't shown any signs of ALS. Twitching can be anything, or nothing at all.

Believe me I'm really trying, but in the last 2 years we've had 2 people close to us diagnosed with als.

Jason,
Sorry to hear that you know people w/ ALS, whom I'm sure you will support in any way you can.

As far as your twitching, the most frequent causes of that are electrolyte imbalances (go for bananas, OJ, nuts, milk-based smoothies...), dehydration, anxiety, stress and muscles that are irritated due to lack of stretching (yet another reason to do stretches when you get up). Guys in particular tend to do exercise that is bouncy rather than static (lengthening the muscles) and that can manifest in some of the ways you describe.

As you say, the hallmark of ALS is inability to do things, which does not describe you at all. So there are concrete things you can do to improve your twitching, and then move on with your full life.

All the best.

Believe me I'm really trying, but in the last 2 years we've had 2 people close to us diagnosed with als.

I would suggest that you start spending a lot of time with these 2 people, both giving time to the PALS and helping out to give the CALS a break and a hand.

This would be incredible therapy for you - to do something positive for these people who are close to you. You will also learn as you start helping there a lot, just how debilitating this disease is and it will help you realise how healthy you really are.

So this could be a great way to relieve your anxiety and help those that are suffering. So many people run away from us when ALS is diagnosed so your help will make a huge difference in their lives.

Thanks for all the responses, i have a final question as far as weakness goes. with the twitching in my foot arch that has been going on for 4 months would i have obvious weakness that i would notice if i did have ALS? i can run up and down stairs, i can walk on my heels, i can stand on the twtiching foot and hop around without any problems. if the twitching were to be ALS associated would i not be able to do those things at this stage?

I'd like to ask if you took my advice and started spending a lot of time with and helping with the two people that are close to you that have ALS?

This would give you two people you know very well that you could be asking this of. As well as that, you would be spending a lot of time actually getting experience with what they are living through and this would answer your question - you would see weakness and you would understand.

Our sticky also tells you clearly that weakness means you simply are not able to do things.

Please, we can't help you any further, but you could help those who are close to you that actually have this disease and are dying. This will open your life up if you would go and help them.

"i can run up and down stairs, i can walk on my heels, i can stand on the twitching foot and hop around without any problems"

Is this a joke? Don't answer that. Are you trolling us? Don't answer that either. Just go. You're pissing off people who are are terminally ill. Not a nice thing to do. Just go.

Jason,
Closing this thread so you can get on with life, hopefully including active support for your PALS friends, as several here have been kind enough to suggest.

Please encourage them to join us here, as they have something to gain from these Forums. You do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back