Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Miami
First of thank you for taking the time to read this. I very much appreciate it.

My problems started 2 months ago. It started with twitches in my calves. Soon the bottom of my feet began twitching in about 5 or so tiny muscles at once.

Now I have constant twitching that can hit anywhere in my body with many muscles all going at once. My lips now quiver when I smile. My tongue and throat jumps for seemingly no reason. Any slower movements cause a jerking feeling. My fingers and toes tremor. My right thumb seems to get stuck and start twitching. My right calf and pectoral are noticeably smaller than the left.

My legs are heavy and I shake when trying to balance myself. I step awkwardly on different spots of my feet. If I bend over for any small amount of time my back and legs shake violently and I nearly fall over.

I have had my entire spine and brain mri'd. Doctors say there's nothing there that should be causing this. I've had blood work done for most normal things like std and Lyme, things of that nature. All negative.

I had a Neuro visit where an EMG. The emg only took about 3 minutes and was only done on my legs. From the report it looks like she was only looking for sciatica or neuropathy problems?

If there was something worse than those would she have seen it? Here's the report if you wouldn't mind reading it.

Electromyography: Concentric needle examination was performed on selected bilateral lower extremities muscles: Vastus lateralis (L3,4, femoral n), Anterior tibialis (L4,5, peroneal n), Peroneus longus, Medial Gastrocnemius (s1,2,;Tibial n), EDB: Normal insertional activity, no spontaneous activity. Normal motor unit potentials. Normal recruitment, full interference pattern. Bilateral lumbar paraspinal muscles from L2 to S1 were normal.

Conclusions: This is a normal study with no evidence of large fiber peripheral polyneuropathy in lower extremities or lumbar radiculopathy on either side.

She was a neurologist with no specialties from what I could find. If there was a larger problem would it have shown up if she was only looking for neuropothies? If I was having problems with my feet and legs would it have seen problems associated with als from the muscles that were tested?

I truly appreciate you reading this. I wish you all the best.

Thanks for giving us a good outline of both what you are feeling and the EMG results.

The EMG isn't like a blood test where they are only testing for something specific. The EMG would have shown the hallmark signs of ALS if they had been there, even if the doctor was looking for a neuropathy.

So your EMG is totally clean, you can celebrate big time!

Your symptoms point away from ALS as well, so that is more cause to celebrate.

Keep working with your doctors to find out what is going on, but don't sweat this rare disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back