Other
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Hello everyone,

I'm a 27 year old mother, with a 2 month old baby. About a month ago I woke up and my left leg felt funny: like it wasn't attached to my body. Figuring it was just the way I slept I didn't give it much thought. Two days later the same feeling was in my left arm. The feelings were only in my biceps and thigh. It was not wrapped around the limb, just in those parts. I called my doctor and she told me to go see my GP or get to the ER. Scared the daylights out if me! I spent the night in he hospital where they ran a CT scan (with and without contrast) and an MRI of my brain. The neurologist told me he was looking for blood clots. Everything clean and I was sent home. The thing concerning me then was while I was in the MRI (which I've always been scared of, because of the confined space) a spot right above my knee in that left leg started to twitch. (YES, I'm a person now petrified by twitches).

Once I was cleared from the hospital, I started seeing a chiropractor and after about a month, the "funny feelings," went away, but I'm still getting twitches. My left arm seems fine now, but in the last month I've experienced the following in my leg: twitching when sleeping or leg is stretched out (not constant, but more frequent), buzzing feeling above knee, and a burning feeling in hip joint. I also experienced jerks in that leg when trying to fall asleep. Not a lot, but a couple times. I've read the stickies, but I'm afraid I'm a victim of over reading when it comes to the twitches. So I'm reaching out to this community.

Yesterday and last night the twitching was awful. The twitching doesn't travel the length of my thigh, but more stays around that area above my knee & even on or below my knee. The muscle twitches after I've stretched it, but again only in that area above my knee & I still get a buzzing feeling in the same area. I've also experienced twitching in the bottom of my right foot, my left buttock, my right bicep, eye, & chin: although these are less frequent than the leg). The neuro I saw in the hospital performed strength tests on me and I did just fine & I don't notice any weakness in the thigh. I had a feeling of weakness when I walked up stairs for a couple weeks, but that has gone & I handle stairs just fine.

Is this all in my head? Am I making myself crazy and my body is taking it out on the leg that gave me such a scare a month ago? I appreciate any response I can get as I know many of guys are battling this disease. Thank you for your time and patience.

ALS doesn't get better. As you wrote, you've read the stickies and it's the twitching that worries you. As the stickies told you, twitching can be caused by many things, including stress.

Burning and buzzing point away from ALS. You may consider seeing a neurologist (outside of the ER where they are looking for immedate life threatening issues), but please stop reading about ALS. You really can talk yourself into symptoms that will only confuse your doctors.

Maybe a pinched nerve

As the mother of a 2 month old, your body is still affected by pregnancy, post partum changes, etc. your symptoms are NOT ALS- please go rock your baby and enjoy life with the gift you have been given. Stay off this forum, as it can conjure up symptoms in your mind. Have a great day worry free about ALS.

We're not in any better position than you to say whether it is "all" in your head, but let's stipulate that some of it probably is at this point. So to further explore how much better you can be, I would evaluate your diet for iron [lack of which can cause restless legs] and electrolytes [imbalance can cause twitching], sleep (including your mattress/pillow), stress and work burden. I would not get any further chiro adjustments but rather focus on massage, stretching, swimming, fitness walking, disciplines like tai chi, Pilates, lengthening the muscles. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back