Reason
Other
Country
Uni
State
South Carolina
City
Edgefield
First off, I'll admit, I'm a very anxious 18 year old male and I tend to self-diagnose myself a lot but the past couple days I've been freaking out over the slightest possibility of ALS. I also want to apologize because I'm sure you guys are tired of people like me on the forums but I really appreciate anyone that reads this and helps me out.

Here are my symptoms:
1) Eye movement - I've read conflicting things, some say ALS CAN affect eyes, some say it doesn't, so I'm putting this out there to get some closure. I've been having a lot of trouble with my eyes tracking things properly. Watching movies or TV or playing video games, or watching sports games, it's hard for my eyes to track everything that goes on because it becomes blurry.
2) Weakness - I read the pinned thread that said ALS doesn't cause weakness but it causes failure, but I could have sworn I saw someone on here talking about weakness, so I'm also putting this out. I've been experiencing a lot of weakness in my hands lately. My grip seems fine, but my fingers seem really wobbly and uncoordinated, I've also felt a little weakness in my legs where it feels weird to walk or it's kind of hard to walk in a straight line.
3) Speech - I've had a little trouble speaking lately, it feels like when I speak I have a lump in my throat that makes it hard to enunciate.
4) Twitching - Very light and usually only occurs when I'm laying down in bed, it's light twitches in my legs/thighs but it'll go away if I readjust my position a bit.

This is all I can really think of off the top of my head. Does it sound like early onset ALS? I have a doctors appointment a week from tomorrow where they're going to look over my MRI I had in July.
I also am a vegetarian, so it is possible that this is just a vitamin/iron deficiency, even though that doesn't explain my vision? I'm sorry if I sound stupid about the whole thing, but thank you to anyone who reads/replies.

Honey, you will not see people here talking about vision problems and if you read about weakness it was probably from someone like you who used Dr. Google! Go enjoy life as an 18 year old and stay off this forum, as it will only stress you out.

1. Eyes are generally not affected. When they are they are affected in the very late stages often when the person is completely paralyzed.

2. You have perceived weakness. You feel weak. Clinical weakness IS failure. The muscle generally feels normal but fails to function.

3 again you are describing a feeling not a failure

4if you read the sticky you know twitching is so common and is meaningless

Other questions. No
And yes vitamin deficiency would be a consideration. The B vitamins if deficient can definitely cause vision issues as can other nutrition related issues.

Thanks for the answer, yeah I know twitching is usually meaningless, it's just hard getting a definitive answer because it seems like so many sources have conflicting information. Thank you for the answer, I really do appreciate it, you've helped alleviate my worries. I'll be praying for everyone here who is affected by ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back