Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Arkansas
City
Pea Ridge
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance for reading and maybe even responding. I bet you guys get a lot of anxiety-ridden pests that want some reassurance. And yeah, I suppose I'm one of them. :)

Over the past month I've been getting some weird symptoms. It began with my left arm and my left leg going numb at work. I readjusted my position and didn't think about it again. A few weeks later I woke up to my left leg numb, again I readjusted and didn't think about it. Well, a few nights later I woke up, used the restroom, and realized later that my left arm, leg, and lips were numb. It freaked me out so I made an appt. My doctor thought I maybe had some carpal tunnel and anxiety mostly. At the appt my BP was high - it never has been before. Since this all started I've gotten twitches all over. It began with my eye (which happens at work often when I deal with stupid people) and has since happened all over - pretty randomly. Now a few days ago my right leg has felt tingly and like it has an "inner tremor". Like it's shaking, but no one can see it. I have been waking up each night with my calves feeling like I've got bricks attached to them. They ache, but not painfully - if that makes sense. This inner tremor has been driving me crazy.

I've been trying to get my diet under control, but before this I've had a lot of dizzy spells and some lightheadedness - at work especially. I think my dr thinks I'm crazy. :(

Does not sound like ALS to me.

Twitching is so common as to be not diagnostic of anything. Feeling "tingly" is not an ALS symptom.

I think your pick (and your doctor's) of anxiety is probably spot on. Carpal tunnel (or someform of nerve impingement) is also a possibility if chilling out (or taking some anxiety meds) doesn't help.

I guess the cramping at night really is what is bothering me the most. I read the sticky and it explains how pain isn't typically part of ALS onset. But then I make the mistake of reading ALS diagnosis stories and there's always one there stating how nighttime cramps was their first symptom or something like that. :/ Stupid of me to do that to myself.

Another oddity that I may mention is that my right calf (the nighttime dancer) is an inch smaller than my left. I have thick legs naturally and I cannot honestly remember if my legs seemed to be the same before. But when I measure with tape the width is an inch shorter at the "meatiest" part of the calf. It is noticeable in pictures as well.

More about me: I'm at 28 year old female. I have four children (ages 7, 5, 3, and 8 months - three older girls and a little boy) and they are the best. The thought of something happening to me before my youngest is old enough to have even a single memory of me is beyond nerve wracking.

My GP wants me to have a nerve conduction test (is that another name for EMG?) on my left arm for carpal tunnel. When I make the appt should I ask them to do my right leg also? Is that even something I can do - just be like, "Hey - point the pokey thing at this leg while you're at it."

JC, none of this is ALS at all. Your doctor is right, follow her direction.

An NCV is not an EMG, although they are often performed together. Look for nerve impingement or other causes, but don't waste your time thinking of ALS.

We put enormous time into creating our stickies and we won't entertain any other position. Otherwise why did we bother writing them so clearly?

I am going to pile on with Dusty and Mike and assure you that you present with ZERO ALS symptoms. That's great news for you and should signal an easy exit from this site which is unhealthy for you to stay at now.

All the best

Ok, I suppose that was my GTFO. Good luck to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back