Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Battle creek
Wondering if als can present in one sided. Meaning. I have the feeling of weakness in my left upper arm and left upper leg. Seeing neuro on Monday for further evaluation. But was curious if anyone knew if it normally presents that way. Er Dr said no. But I've heard other stories. Thanks

Typically ALS presents bilaterally. One side presentation tends toward MS or CVA(Stroke). No need to worry about ALS. Still worth checking out though.
Vincent

I think your ER DR is correct. It typically starts with motor neurons that serve one body area and then spreads over time to other areas. It usually starts either in the upper extremities, lower extremities, or bulbar functions (e.g., speech, swallowing). If it starts in one arm or leg, it will typically first affect the other side before affecting other parts. For example, if symptoms start in the left leg, the right leg will most probably be the next area affected. From there it is likely to start migrating up the torso to the abdominal and back muscles, then proceed to be manifest in the arms. It is highly variable in where it starts and the sequence of progression, but I've never heard of it starting one-sided of both upper and lower extremities.

I'd suggest you take ALS off of your worry list. I wish you well.
-Phil

Thank you all. It's appreciated. They did say ms symptoms sounded more like the case since I have muscle fatigue and pons and needles but tricky part is I'm pregnant so the pins and needles could be from that. My normal reflexes are good, I don't have Babinski or Hoffman's but I do have the weakness as well as the fasciculations that are all over, however I can make them "activate" if I flick my skin so kind of scary. Thanks I'll update Monday after my appointment. Praying for you all. Thank you.

Oh yeah MRI of brain was clean no lesions for ms but thinking they should check the cervical spine as a back up since although unrelated in 2010 they found ddd in c5&6

Brittany, since you're still here, I guess you're hoping for another opinion.

You said, "I have the feeling of weakness." That is no reason to think about ALS. There are so many other much more common conditions that can cause that. ALS is rare.

Importantly, ALS doesn't "feel weak." This is because ALS is not really a muscle disease, it's a brain disease that destroys motor neurons. Because the neuron can't send a signal to its corresponding muscle, the muscle can't contract; it lays limp and useless. There's no feeling of weakness, no burning, no exhaustion, no weird feeling; the muscle simply doesn't move.

No ALS, Brittany.

Thanks atsugi. I appreciate your response. I don't know a ton about als, although before I decided to become registered to this forum I scrolled relentlessly through the old posts to get an idea before I asked questions that are always asked. And I say feels weak because about a month ago I was walking and out of nowhere my knee gave way, it was the strangest thing. However I know pregnancy can lossen ligaments so I chalked it up to that. But I say weak because I noticed I can't do a few things as easy as I used to. Plus the fasciculations are really getting to me. Some I can feel but I can't see and it drives me nuts. Anyways I appreciate all of your comments and whatever this is, God is healer and no matter what even those if you who have lost loved ones to als or are battling it can know with certainty he'll get us through. I'll update if anyone cares to know on Monday. Goodnight and blessings��

This might be pertinent; I recently saw a database of 1800 people with ALS. They were 50-60 years old. Only three were in there twenties, 27, 28, and 29. If you're younger than that, you'd be a real record setter.

Don't worry about rare diseases when there are so many common conditions that might explain your knee giving way.

I'm 27 thank you for your response its appreciated

I don't think Brittany has to worry but bilateral onset usual? Not that I know. Limb from all I know starts either in one arm or leg next is usually either the opposite limb ( left leg then right leg for example ) or the other limb on the same side ( left leg then left arm). one of these is only slightly more common than the other according to a study I read. people have involvement of both sides by the time they get diagnosed that is true but all my family and everyone I have discussed it with noticed a problem on one side first and then it spread

Last edited:
I don't think Brittany has to worry but bilateral onset usual? Not that I know. Limb from all I know starts either in one arm of leg next is usually either the opposite limb ( left leg then right leg for example ) or the other limb on the same side ( left leg then left arm). one of these is only slightly more common than the other according to a study I read. people have involvement of both sides by the time they get diagnosed that is true but all my family and everyone I have discussed it with noticed a problem on one side first and then it spread

Nikki's post is consistent with everything I've read, as well as our personal experience. Annie's started in her lower left leg and didn't affect her right leg for a couple of years or so. I can't recall any PALS whose onset was bilateral. The other corresponding limb was eventually affected, but not at onset.
-Phil

Brittany, neuropathy is just one thing that can cause Pins And needles and weakness. Please let your doctor diagnose you and don't worry about ALS.

The scary part is that the weakness in my upper left arm and upper left leg isn't getting better nor is it going away. I took potassium that did away with pins and needles, now I'm just weak. And literally weak. When I walk I feel it. So last question, would you start to notice a decline? Or would you just wake up one day and have no use?

Can be either slow decline or sudden disability.

Hey, Brittany, no one here is going to diagnose you over the Internet. You're going to see a doctor tomorrow so relax.

Four of us with ALS experience have told you that the symptoms you're describing don't seem like ALS. If you turn out to be the exceedingly rare case that is ALS, I'll welcome you with open arms. Until then, that needs to be your final question. Relax.

Ms can flare with pregnancy. Since your doctor mentioned that, I would ask the neuro tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back