Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
Dallas
I had another emg last week and it shows nerve damage in my leg and back muscles! But my emg is free of fibs and psws!I don't know what I have and still hoping its something else! Is emg really important in Als diagnosis? I noticed my first symptom two years back . I also have weakness and abnormal barium swallow study! I have atrophy in my feet but my emg is normal in that area! This whole thing is very confusing to me!

Yes, EMG is important but it's not everything. The big deal, of course, is a paralyzed muscle with no other explanation. All the painful symptoms you've had over the past year point away from ALS. Didn't you get your weakness evaluated? Did your neuro review the EMG with you?

If your EMG is free of fibs and sharp waves, then you do not have acute (current) denervation. The nerve damage that shows is therefore chronic (old) denervation.

ALS is a disease of widespread, acute and chronic denervation. I am not a doctor, but I would say the EMG shows you do not have ALS.

Atsugi - My neuro asked me to come back in 4-5 months. He is not sure about what I have and asked me to focus on my work. He also said that something is going on and right now it doesnt look like ALS but cannot rule it out either.. I am really thankful that he said that but I get anxious sometimes thinking about my health.

Dusty-Thanks for explaining it to me. I really appreciate it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back