Other
Country
US
State
Ny
City
Corning
Hello,
I am hoping that someone can provide me with some perspective. I read the stickies so let me first say I am only 25. I have an almost 4 year old and a 3 month old baby. I am terrified that something is seriously wrong with me. I am not sure if these events are related or not... But here's what's going on.

Around 7 months pregnant I occasionally would get a twitch in my upper back on the left side. Nothing that I worried about but something I noticed. About 1 month postpartum I had a visual episode where I lost vision in one eye for 10 minutes . Around that time...I can't remember if it was before or after that...I started getting a twitch above and to the side of my knee. Then a month later I started twitching in my left calf.

Flash forward to now I have twitches EVERYWHERE. My calfs my thighs my butt my shoulders arms stomach back... My neck, My face. Literally my lips and cheeks are twitching and my tongue is twitching. The twitches can be big twitches or single twinges...like quick electricity. I also have a kind of pins and needles feeling in my knee and calf area...it really feels like really really tiny twinges and twitches. I also get a sharp pain in the side of my neck like an electric shock feeling from time to time.

I went to my PCP who asked me questions and had me squeeze her hands...referred me to a neurologist. I have to wait 2 months for the apt. She discarded my twitches and focused on my visual episode with the "pins and needles" feeling and mentioned MS.

A couple days ago I suddenly started "lisping"... It's not quite a "Th" sound like a lisp-more like hissing or air in my s sound. It's so weird because I hear a strong ssss sound between my teeth but no one seems to notice the sound but me. It FEELS difficult to say s sounds. I find myself avoiding s sounds when speaking. I am not slurring my words and no other sound appears affected. I can move my tongue from side to side,touch my tongue to my nose (yes!) and can even make a clover with my tongue.

I have no issues swallowing and have also lost 60 pounds in the past 3 months (gained 85 during pregnancy!) and am breastfeeding with an over supply.

I am making a correlation between my perceived speaking issue and twitching...which may be a weak correlation but I'm so scared. Since my speaking issue my anxiety is through the ROOF.

My intellect says-don't be crazy! You're 25, you probably have an electrolyte imbalance and anxiety and stress due to being a new parent...

But I'm scared about these symptoms. What do you think?

Als is a motor or movement disease. You are describing sensory symptons(pins and needles)

Anxiety , especially post partum, can cause some strange symptons. Please see your neuro for it.

Weight loss, slurring, facial symptoms could also be an indication of myasthenia gravis or a virus.

My point is, you need to see a doctor to help you. You do not have als. Congratulations! Go enjoy those babies:)

Absolutely NO WAY this is ALS - nothing like it.

Relax and let your doctors work with you.

Thank you both so much for taking the time to replying. I have been incredibly concerned since the speaking issue. The twitches are annoying but haven't worried me since they're widespread and aren't causing weakness...but then the lisping started.

My tongue gets in the way when I pronounce the s sounds...so much that I ha e been biting it on one side. Should I worry about that?

Good lord I swear I'm not a hypochondriac but these symptoms are driving me nuts!

Thank you thank you thank you!

Blondie, we're well equipped to deal with ALS, which you don't have, but we're not doctors, so we can't help you with other issues. I suggest taking your tongue to your PCP, who might send you to an ENT. Good luck

Blondie, when I get very tired, I slur my words to the point its extremely difficult at times to understand anything I am saying. I am a caregiver and do not have als. You have a new baby and a small child. Fatigue and stress , eating and/or sleeping poorly can cause your symptoms. Please see your pcp.

WE can not help you. You do not have als!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back