Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Dallas
First of all I would like to say thanks to everyone for reading my concerns. I have also read the stickies and listen to hip hop music only occasionally.

I am a 51 year old male that started with fasciculations around 5 months ago.

I had visit with GP and neuro 3 months ago. I had all the standard tests done that everyone mentions here: bloodwork, mris of head, cervical, lumbar and emg/ncv. All of these tests were negative.

The neuro visit is well versed in als and has diagnosed many ALS patients. My clinical and emg/ncv were both normal as well.

Over the past several months everything has continued to progress. I have developed extreme stiffness, soreness/possible muscle spasms or cramping throughout my body. It started in left ankle, then spread throughout left leg, the other leg, and finally hands, wrists, arms, stomach and neck. Almost feels like my wrists are sprained sometimes. I can simply press down on a muscle and has extreme ache.

Each day it is worse than the day before for the most part and does not go away.

Despite all of this soreness remarkably I have not noticed any real weakness. My ankles are so sore tight and sore sometimes wonder how can walk much less do all the activities I do.

I have read that ALS is about "failing not feeling" and that everyone presents differently.

Does this sound at all like a possible presentation of ALS? Do muscles fail out of the blue or is there a lead time where the stiffness and cramping set in before they fail?

Thanks,

Bob

To me it sounds like something else. In my case failure was absolutely the first symptom. Cramping came significantly later and stiffness and soreness have yet to arrive ( except if I get too cold)

I would check back with my pcp. Thinking this is likely not a neuro issue possibly something for rheumatology? But let the pcp direct you
Good luck

My wife's ALS started with sudden "failing" right out of the blue, and she never had pains or soreness or cramps (until she was paralyzed and wheelchair-bound).

With a normal clinical exam and a normal EMG, you are absolutely cleared of ALS, without question.

As Nikki said (she's real smart) let your PCP guide your health investigations to whichever specialties the PCP thinks would be appropriate.

--Mike

Thanks Nikki and Mike. I really appreciate your insights. God bless you both.

If and when I get some answers will definitely report back.

Out,

Bob

Banned for multiple ids. Why not continue on your first thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back