Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
Dallas
Barium swallow study is slightly abnormal showing pharyngeal dysmotility. I don't know what it means :). I am advised to eat and drink slowly . I am thankful that I can still eat anything. I just wanted to share this with you all:)

I have one scheduled for 8:30 tomorrow morning . We can compete for high score.
Vincent

Autumn, it means the second phase of your swallowing process isn’t up to snuff. It’s a serious symptom of several serious diseases, including ALS.

Swallowing comes in three phases: Oral (mouth), Pharyngeal (middle) and Esophageal (throat).

From Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle:
Dysphagia means difficulty swallowing and includes any disturbance in the transfer of food or liquid from the mouth to the stomach. Abnormalities may involve the oral, pharyngeal, or esophageal stage of the swallowing sequence. Diseases and disorders that affect a person's ability to swallow are numerous, including stroke, neurodegenerative diseases (ALS, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease), certain advanced cancers, traumatic injury, connective tissue disease (scleroderma), specific disorders of the esophagus (GERD, strictures, rings). Patients with dysphagia can suffer weight loss, dehydration, malnutrition and aspiration pneumonia if food or liquid enters the lungs.

I have mild pharyngeal motility as well. I was told to avoid things like rice, peas, raw veggies etc..... Having trouble with residue in back of throat. I've been avoiding most of this stuff anyway( choking is unpleasant). Also told to eat/drink eat/drink just to wash stuff down. ALS SUCKS.
Vincent

Sorry to hear of this diagnostic result. Many of us share the same.

I see a swallowing therapist who has been of great help. I am careful about what I eat, how I eat it, and the environment in which I eat.

I find that having distractions, such as folks trying to talk to me while I eat is my number one enemy.

There are numerous techniques that can help. The specific techniques that will work for you are likely dependent on your particular circumstances. For me, I need to tuck my chin when swallowing.

They recommend against rice, but, oddly enough, I find it one of the easiest things to eat if it is cooked with copious quantities of butter.

Steve

Vincent ...Sorry to hear that! ALS sucks ! I try to live in the moment but its not easy. I am a medical mystery and my symptoms are confusing to my doctors! I also have nerve pain(neuralgia) which is not a common symptom of ALS. I am glad that at least we are able to connect with people going through similar issues.

Swalker.. I am going to see a swallow therapist next week and thanks for sharing your adventures with everyone. I went to yellow stone and grand teton in 2013 ! I love to travel too :)

Isn't Yellowstone great? And, the Tetons too!

It seems like a lot of folks participating in this forums enjoy going there.

Someone suggested (jokingly, it seemed) that we should all meet there. Count me in:)

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back