Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
California
City
Roseville
Hello, my name is Royce. I'm 44 years old. My muscles as of late have been constantly fatigued feeling and sore with no physical exercise to justify it. I have been experiencing the muscle twitching all throughout my body for the last week, mainly legs, feet, right arm, and thumb. My main concern is the weakness I have in my right arm and more specifically my thumb. I can still grab things with my hand and use my thumb, but it gets very sore and fatigued easily. My fingers feel heavy and opening and closing my hand seems more difficult then the left hand. I get twitching in my thumb and right arm when exerting both. I have had periodic tingling in my right hand which I have read is not indicative of als. The thumb has been making it increasingly more difficult. For some reason my right hand and thumb have had considerably more problems than the left. Could this be the very early signs of als? Thank you so much for your time and help.

If u can open a jar with ur right hand then u don't have clinical weakness

Damn, I have to rewrite a lengthy post.

First. COKE: Since you've no experience with ALS, you should confine your posts to your own thread. It's a rule we enforce to avoid confusion for the people who are asking about a very serious disease that has some confusing symptoms.

ROYCE, thanks for including many details.

You're right to note that tingling doesn't point toward ALS. In fact, the soreness, fatigue, and feeling of weakness point AWAY from ALS.

This is because ALS destroys motor nerves in the brain and brain stem and doesn't affect sensory nerves in the hand.

Here's how the beginning of ALS happens: ALS destroys a motor nerve in the brain, so that nerve cannot send a signal to its corresponding muscle in the hand. Consequently, the muscle in the hand just lays there, limp, useless, paralyzed, and doesn't contract. There is no sensation at all. It just doesn't work. Then the ALS destroys the next motor nerve, and the next...

I rather suspect you have pinched a nerve in your back, but there are other things it could be, too. However, I won't diagnose you because I'm not a doctor. I do, however, know ALS fairly well, and you haven't described it.

Don't sweat ALS, but do see your GP doctor to straighten out whatever is going on.

(Loved Roseville. Used to live in Rocklin.)

Atsugi, I can't thank you enough for your detailed response. Words can't express how much you mean to me to take the time to help educate myself and others. You are truly a blessing I hope you know that! Small world that you and I were so close to one another. I will be sure to make a donation to this cause. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back