Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MN
City
Forest Lake
Hello, I will just get right to my situation, I know you guys answer a lot of this type of question and from what I can tell all VERY knowledgeable.

I am a 35 yr old F. I was married 3 years ago and had 2 kids since then, they are 2 and 1, 8 mos apart. Life sure is crazy around here and rarely is anything ever about me. So the fact that I am here is telling.
It all started about 10 months ago (rough estimate) We moved our bedroom downstairs so that my kids could have their rooms together upstairs. I would notice that I would have severe pain upon standing out of bed and walking up the stairs. The pain would last through the better part of the morning. I would take 800 mg of Ibuprofen (I should mention here that I take 90mg of Methadone every morning, for chemical dependency from years back, so this too would help ease the pain) by about 12 I am feeling better, only notice when I walk upstairs, go for walks etc...I feel fine in general otherwise as long as not exercising.
This pain persisted and became worse over time. I would also get crazy cramps in my legs and they often fell asleep on me, usually while I was in bed either sleeping or trying to sleep. I also got them in my foot. My arms would fall asleep also.
I brought it up to my GP a month ago and she referred me to a Neuro. I seen him last week. He noted no clinical weakeness but has ordered an MRI, EMG and blood work.
I didn't understand why? I wasn't real worried about anything serious until after this appt. (I am not scheduled until Sept 9th, so have been on google like MAD!) After this apt, literally the next day, I noticed twitches in both calfs, and since have noticed them pretty much everywhere. They are def worse in my calfs. (constant)
I am now wondering if the Neuro noticed the twitches in my calfs while doing his exam but didn't tell me and that's why he ordered the EMG.
I am also having twitches in my eye now, and they are continuous also, So annoying!

Can anyone tell me if this has ALS written on it? I ruined an entire getaway weekend stressing over this.
Another thing, my hair has been falling out steadily for a couple of years now. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Sara

It does not remotely sound like ALS. If what sent you down this road is the fact that your neuro ordered an EMG be assured there are many many many things found on EMG and that the vast majority of EMGD are done because of a suspicion of something else. In your case I would guess that he is looking for a spinal issue. And twitches are completely non specific and can be caused or exacerbated by stress

Ahhhhhhhh.......Thank you!

"...severe pain upon standing out of bed" Pain is not a presenting symptom of ALS; pain points away from ALS.

Twitches are not diagnostic of anything. Even if your neuro noticed fascisulations, that would not call for an EMG.

And after you consulted Dr Google, your twitches got worse, appearing everywhere and being continuous. This is a common reaction to Dr Google. It's called health anxiety. Stay away from him; he's a quack!

I agree with Nikki. It abolsutely does not sound like ALS.

Relax. Get your EMG and let your neuro diagnose you. Don't try to diagnose yourself. Stay away from the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back