Reason
Other
Country
Uni
State
MI - Michigan
City
saint johns
I've been struggling with a strange sensation in my left calf for 4 months now. It feels sort of like a chronically pulled muscle. Even at rest it feels odd. I also get fasiculations in my calf especially after walking or going to the gym. My walking gait has changed. Every step I take I expect my toes to catch the ground because that is what it feels like is going to happen....it never does but I can't get the feeling out of my head. My left calf/foot/ankle feels chronically weak....I can still walk on my toes and walk on my heels with one caveat...when I stand on my toes my left calf area on the outside will quickly cramp. My calf fatigues very quickly....not sure if it is truly weak but definitely cramps and fatigues quickly. I had an emg several weeks ago that was clean. I thought that would set my mind at ease and the weak feeling would go away but no such luck....its progressively getting worse. The neurologist cant see me for almost 2 more months so I sit and worry. I've read the post about not asking questions before reading and I must say it puts my mind at ease a little bit. My main question is this....one of the most common tests in a neurological exam is the foot tap where you sit or stand and rapidly tap your foot. I have great difficulty doing this test....my left foot will not tap quickly or consistently....it hangs up and doesn't work the way I think it should. While doing the toe tapping I get a burning painful cramping sensation in the outside of my calf...I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with the foot tap test. I also experience this odd feeling that my left shoe is too large. I know it sounds crazy but I'd swear my foot has shrunk because it feels as if it is sliding around inside my shoe. I'm sure you get tired of people like me asking the same type of questions over and over but 2 months is such a long time to wait for my neurological exam. Any feedback would be appreciated

I believe the foot tap test is a test for cervical myelopathy, not ALS.

They gave you an EMG 2 months before the neuro can see you? Sounds strange...

Willy, an EMG would expose ALS months before you would have any visible symptoms of ALS. If it wasn't on the EMG, it isn't happening.

Plus, all those weird sensations just don't count toward ALS. The hallmark of ALS is a muscle that is limp, useless, paralyzed and there is no fatigue, tiredness, exhaustion, burning or any sensation at all associated with it.

You don't have to worry about ALS while you're waiting for the neuro appointment.

Thanx for replying....even after reading the sticky it still feels great to have someone tell you this doesn't sound like als. It was my family doctor who sent me to have the emg. When the fatigue feeling didnt go away I called my doctor (3 weeks later) and asked for a referral to a neuro......didn't know it would be a 7 week wait. I think you guys (and gals) are awesome for taking time out of your days to reply to these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back