Lost a loved one
Country
AUS
State
Victoria
City
Melbourne
Hi Everyone,
Before I get started, I would like to thank you all in advance for taking the time to read and respond to the situation I am facing. Any response will be greatly appreciated.

I'm a 20 year old male and up until the last couple of months I have always been healthy and very active. I enjoy participating in sports and keeping fit in the gym, however due to my current symptoms I have been forced to take a break from it all. I have had anxiety issues in the past, quite often related to fear of death or developing life-threatening illnesses. I am very concerned with my condition at the moment and would greatly appreciate your input.

For the best part of 2 months I have always felt dizzy, unbalanced, uncoordinated, sensitive to light, dazed/confused and at times have lacked concentration. I had a CT scan done about a month and a half ago regarding these symptoms and got the all clear from my doctor. I know these are not exactly symptoms of ALS however my symptoms have gotten a lot worse in the last week.

About a week ago I noticed weakness in both of my legs (jelly feeling), I didn't think much of it at the time as the level of weakness I was experiencing was not concerning me. However 3 days later I noticed the weakness had gotten stronger and has actually spread to both of my arms. I am still able to perform tasks such as walking up the stairs and running around however I have also noticed in the last day or so that my left pinky in particular feels very slow to respond. I am very concerned as these symptoms seem to be getting worse every day.

Do these symptoms sound like the early stages of ALS? Or is it possible that this has all been brought on by anxiety?

>>20 year old male== ALS is an old person's disease.
>>dizzy, unbalanced, uncoordinated== ALS does not do this
>>sensitive to light, dazed/confused== Or this
>>these are not exactly symptoms of ALS== That's right.
>>legs (jelly feeling)== ALS weakness does not have a feeling

Sounds like health anxiety to me. I'm not a doctor, so I can't diagnose what you might have, but I know ALS fairly well and you don't have it.

For details, see the Sticky post at the top of this subforum titled "New Members, Read This Before Posting.

>>20 year old male== ALS is an old person's disease.
>>dizzy, unbalanced, uncoordinated== ALS does not do this
>>sensitive to light, dazed/confused== Or this
>>these are not exactly symptoms of ALS== That's right.
>>legs (jelly feeling)== ALS weakness does not have a feeling

Sounds like health anxiety to me. I'm not a doctor, so I can't diagnose what you might have, but I know ALS fairly well and you don't have it.

For details, see the Sticky post at the top of this subforum titled "New Members, Read This Before Posting.

Thanks for replying Atsugi, I greatly appreciate it.

Sorry to bother everyone again but my condition has worsened and I would like some advice/feedback. Just this morning i have noticed that my feet muscles are much slower than usual, especially when I attempt to rotate my ankles in a circular motion. It has become noticeably harder to walk as my legs feel weak and I feel as though the nerves in my body are not responding correctly. These symptoms are very similar in both of my arms too as they are also weak and I feel as though my nerves are slow to respond and quite jittery when trying to move my fingers around as fast as I can. I am also experiencing a weird feeling as if my muscles are shaking (not sure if tremors). I know you guys are not doctors and as a result cannot give me a difinitive diagnoses, however, Is it possible that this could all be due to ALS? If not, what else do you think it could be?
Many thanks

There are hundreds of conditions that might be the problem. But it really doesn't sound like ALS.
Start with your primary care doctor.

Still does not sound like ALS.

I agree with Atsugi's comments and believe you should talk with your PCP about this. We can't help you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back