Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
No
City
Eheh
Hello. I am eighteen years old and have been concerned about the possibility of ALS. I hear it is rare in young people but does happen, nevertheless I am very ignorant on the topic and have a few questions. Firstly, is muscle fatigue or getting tired easily from doing certain activities (e.g. holding the phone for a few minutes) symptomatic of ALS? Does weakness precede fatigue, and if so should I be experiencing weakness?

I panicked slightly to see if I have experienced a loss in muscle mass (or an increase in weakness) so I began doing quite a bit of exercising (squats and pushups) and today my muscles are aching all over.

Thank you for taking the time to read my concerns. I understand I probably sound very naive and you guys probably get tons of paranoid people asking about their "symptoms", so I appreciate any feedback I get. :)

>>is muscle fatigue ... symptomatic of ALS? === Nope, it's normal for healthy people.

>>Does weakness precede fatigue? === No.

>>doing quite a bit of exercising...and today my muscles are aching === This is quite normal for healthy people.

NEED2CHECK: ALS destroys the motor nerves in the brain, the ones that tell the muscles to move. Because the muscles don't receive the signal, they don't move. The muscles don't feel tired or weird, they just lay there paralyzed, limp and useless.

And yes, ALS at 18 years old would be like, world-record young. ALS is an old person's disease.

>>is muscle fatigue ... symptomatic of ALS? === Nope, it's normal for healthy people.

>>Does weakness precede fatigue? === No.

>>doing quite a bit of exercising...and today my muscles are aching === This is quite normal for healthy people.

NEED2CHECK: ALS destroys the motor nerves in the brain, the ones that tell the muscles to move. Because the muscles don't receive the signal, they don't move. The muscles don't feel tired or weird, they just lay there paralyzed, limp and useless.

And yes, ALS at 18 years old would be like, world-record young. ALS is an old persons disease.

Oh I see. Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back