Could long term acrylic nails cause ALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Hatboro
Do you know if having acrylic nails for twenty years cause ALS? I am scared and didn't
know the chemicals used for same.

Hi Kathleen,

Are you having an unexplained weakness or do you have a paralyzed muscle that is laying limp and useless?
If not, I wouldn't worry about ALS.

No, there is no report of acrylic nails causing ALS. Never heard of it.
Scientists don't really know what causes ALS, but seeing as so many patients are male, especially veterans of the military, I don't think acrylic nails are suspect.

--Mike

No one knows what causes ALS . There are a lot of theories, but After almost 8 years on this board I have never heard any thing like this. You have nothing to worry about. If you are not feeling well, you need to see your doc and talk with him. some advice, don't tell him you think you have ALS because they will not take you seriously. tell them your symptoms and LISTEN to what they say. Most importantly, don't spend time on this forum--it will scare you and upset you. ALS is very rare, and you have a much greater chance of having something else so don't waste your time here.

I am seeing doctors now for difficulty swallowing, weakness in legs. I just had blood work done and an MRI. I have an appointment with a
neuro muscu dr but not until November. I started thinking of how bad chemicals could make me sick and the thought of my nails came to me.

Both difficulty swallowing and weakness in legs have other causes. ALS is rare. Your doctors must investigate many possibilities, looking for more common ailments, before they consider ALS.

If your weakness is "feeling weak" and are still walking, and can walk on your heels and toes, I wouldn't worry at all.
If one of your legs will NOT hold you up, then go find the cause for that. Probably not ALS.

It didn't cause mine...

Come on now mike, I thought glittering acrylics were a deep dark military secret...

J x

Pretty sure it didn't cause Chris's either ...

Come on now mike, I thought glittering acrylics were a deep dark military secret...

J x

It would have to be a DEEP dark secret in the military!

don't ask--don't tell

Janelle--they only paint their toenails!

Kathleen, know your question was a serious one, and if we seem to be joking about it, that is called "survival!" We need to inject humor in everything. Think we have all been down the path of "what if ( fill in the blank) caused it?"
Hoping for a good report. Keep us posted (and keep your beautiful nails!). Donna

Kathleen, know your question was a serious one, and if we seem to be joking about it, that is called "survival!" We need to inject humor in everything. Think we have all been down the path of "what if ( fill in the blank) caused it?"
Hoping for a good report. Keep us posted (and keep your beautiful nails!). Donna

Ditto that............

Big Mark, YOU especially are the master of injecting humor! Sure the rest of your "easily led astray" buddies will have something to say about condoms being the cause!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back