Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
DE
State
HE
City
Frankfurt
Hey everybody. :) This is my first post on these forums, I'm glad I found someplace that might help me answer my questions.

I've been feeling like I'm getting weaker and more easily exhausted at work for quite a while. My legs started feeling heavy. Never thought about ALS, though. I'm quite overweight and I dont do alot of sport, so I figured it might be that.

Some day after taking a shower I actually noticed that my upper thigh looks...different.
I didn't realize at this time that my muscles have gotten quite a bit smaller in both upper thighs, until it became clearly visible. Went to my doctor who said that I should go see a neurologist, and that I'm right about muscle atrophy. (That appointment is next week)
Also sitting here, my legs feel quite strange. Not like sore muscles, but ....I don't know.

My body started twitching too (I'm not sure, but I think the atrophy actually started before the twitching), particularly the muscles in the legs - the "affected ones" in the upper thigh, alot of twitches in the calf, and occasionally twitches in the feet, biceps and hand.

Also, it seems like the twitches in the upper thigh are decreasing in number, but the ones I noticed are getting stronger (?), if that makes any sense.

What am I supposed to do. Could this be ALS?

Thank you. And sorry for my bad english. :(

Rizla, welcome. Sorry to see you're worried.
Many conditions cause atrophy and twitches, not only ALS.
Don't worry about a rare disease. Your neurologist will follow a standard process to discover the problem.
In ALS, the important symptom is actual weakness. A muscle is paralyzed, limp and useless. The muscle doesn't feel weird or heavy or exhausted. It just won't contract.
Good luck.

And your English is better than my German.

Thanks for your answer, Atsugi. I hope you are right about it.

Google is a curse, because ALS is basically all you read when you enter those symptoms. I'm going to be checked tomorrow, I'm already nervous.

Rizila
Thinking of you hope you will be fine please let us know how you doing what the dr said
Olifants

Olifants if you don't have ALS you can start your own thread to ask questions, but you shouldn't post in any other threads at all. Please read the sticky at the top of the Do I have ALS section.

Please accept my appology new her thanks Tilli

Just great - went to the doctor, got my NCV and my reflexes checked - both were ok. Then he said if those are ok he doesn't see any need for an EMG and kindly showed me the door.

Next appointment - hopefully next week. Found one who accepts patients quickly if it's something acute ... oh well. All other neurologists: Next possible appointment October / November. It's ridiculous.

If your doctor is not concerned about ALS, you shouldn't be.

Just great - went to the doctor, got my NCV and my reflexes checked - both were ok. Then he said if those are ok he doesn't see any need for an EMG and kindly showed me the door.

I disagree that it's ridiculous. You are not showing symptoms of ALS and you did not present with clinical indications to the neurologist. That is actually wonderful news and you should be celebrating.

Twitching means nothing and you don't have any clinical weakness. Whatever is going on is highly unlikely to be ALS or any other terminal condition. All the best now, I highly recommend staying off this site and refusing to google random symptoms as though you can diagnose yourself.

I disagree that it's ridiculous. You are not showing symptoms of ALS and you did not present with clinical indications to the neurologist. That is actually wonderful news and you should be celebrating.

Twitching means nothing and you don't have any clinical weakness. Whatever is going on is highly unlikely to be ALS or any other terminal condition. All the best now, I highly recommend staying off this site and refusing to google random symptoms as though you can diagnose yourself.

Tillie

Well, it's less the twitching that I'm worried about, I'm more worried about the atrophy. It is clearly visible, and has ... made progress, for a while now.
Also the twitching isn't quite random, I'm not sure if those beautiful anti-anxiety meds have anything to do with it, but right now the only places I'm getting twitches in are the legs and arms, particularly the areas where the muscle is going. I don't know if that's got anything to do with the atrophy, though.

I will have to consult a neurologist about this anyway. Still, I'll follow your advice and stay off the site and google until there's news. Thanks for the help.

Rizla, there are many reasons for atrophy.
In ALS, atrophy occurs AFTER the muscle has been paralyzed, limp and useless for some weeks and months.
--Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back