Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ma
City
Hingham
2 years ago my left lip and eye drooped. Went to dr. And chalked it up to Bell's palsy. Never really went away though. Then my lips starting twitching and my jaw. Had an EMG that was abnormal. Dr. wanted to do spinal tap and MRI which showed some grey matter? Fast forward till now, all over body twitches and tremors. Especially in my feet and thighs and still in lips. I have a faint droop in lip still. But the twitching is what's worrying me that is the beginning of ALS. My feet feel funny walking, like they gonna give out. I'm 43 and worried

In what way was the EMG abnormal? And when was it? Your current symptoms as I understand them are twitching, a lip droop that has been there for 2 years and the associated eye droop improved? and a feeling in your feet That does not sound like ALS at all. What does your doctor say? And if you need another opinion you are within easy distance of several outstanding medical centers. MGH is the choice for ALS though I do not think that is your issue
By the way gray matter is normal on brain MRI. I guess you mean there was some unusual distribution?

Emg was 2 years ago. Showed denervation. Eye still droopy too. Twitching like crazy all over

Does not sound like ALS. If you are seeing community neuros and are not satified request a referral into town-MGH.BI B&W all of them have strong neuro departments

Were you tested for myasthenia gravis? It causes eye droop.

Sue, in case you need more reassurance, I agree with Nikki that it doesn't seem to be ALS.

1) Going from the lip to a foot? Never heard of that. (Maybe some one can correct me.) All my knowledge says that ALS progresses from one muscle to the next in serial fashion, either up the body or down the body, one piece at a time.

2) Two years of a lip droop? If the lip droop were ALS, you'd probably be totally paralyzed or dead by now, but you're not.

3) Twitching all over? No. In ALS, twitches are localized to the next muscle that is becoming paralyzed.

I can't diagnose you because I'm not a doctor, but we know ALS pretty well. In my opinion you don't have to worry about ALS, but you should ask your doctors what it might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back