Reason
Other
Country
US
State
MT
City
Billings
Hello everyone. About two months ago I began having aome balance/coordination issues with my right leg. It started aching, pins needles, stiffness. Sometimes it's hard to walk on it. I feel so unbalanced when walking. On occasion i'll get cramping in my left leg. I can see muscle twitching in both legs. I saw one neurolgist and he did an MRI of my brain. Nothing showed up ans said, "You're fine." I went to my primary care doctor and he ran blood work and everything was fine. He wants me to get a second opinion crom another neurologist just incaae. I can still walk on my toes, walk on my heals for the most part, tap my foot. It just feels awkward to run and my legs get tired after walking a while or running stairs. Does this sound like an onset of ALS?

Aching and pins and needles does not sound like ALS. ALS affects motor nerves, not sensory nerves. It's about muscles failing, not feeling like they are going to fail. There are many other things that can be going on, but you should not be fretting about ALS.

No this does not sound like ALS. ALS does not feel like pins and needles, there is really no feeling, the muscles just waste away. To rule it out you need an EMG.

I disagree that an EMG is always required to rule out ALS. Whether one is needed depends on the symptoms and the clinical exam. If there is clinical suscipion then yes an EMG can rule it out.
OP I agree that it does not sound like ALS. Good luck with your second opinion

Hello everyone. I had my exam today. He said everything was normal. He's going to perform an EMG in a month and also an MRI of my lower back. He laughed when I mentioned ALS. "We'll check for that..but it's highly unlikely. He said ALS patients can experience pain and aches..but that's much later. He said I didn't have any weakness., Your exam didn't have any abnormalties." Do you guys think I'm in the clear as far I'm still very worried. Thanks for the information and support.

Dude, you're so clear you're transparent!

Also: you highjacked someone else's thread.
However: you don't have any reason to post on this ALS website any longer. We wish you well.

EMG will be definitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back