Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
Rockaway
So over a month ago I posted my issue with all of you amazing experts and was told that in no way shape or form do I have ALS. I am the one who started with an off feeling in my right forearm and then my legs started with to hurt. Then it came to my speech being affected but everyone told me that the fact that I have pain - that it certainly is not ALS. Well my neuro gave back my EMG that I took on April 24th and it certainly wasn't clean. I would like to tell you what it said and hope that someone can give me insight on it - because fast forward to now and I have some serious issues.

EMG: Evaluation of the Left median motor and Right median motor nerves showed reduced amplitude (Wrist, L 2.9, R 3.8 mV) and reduced amplitude (Elbow, L 3.0, R 3.3 mV). The Left ulnar motor nerve showed reduced amplitude (Wrist, 5.1 mV) and reduced amplitude (B Elbow, 4.6 mV). The Right ulnar motor nerve showed reduced amplitude (B Elbow, 5.1 mV). The Right Median D2 Sensory nerve showed reduced amplitude (10.4 uV). The Right ulnar Sensory nerve showed decreased conduction velocity (Wrist - 5th Digit, 48 m/s). All remaining nerves were within normal limits.

That was my EMG. Fast forward two months and my left ring finger and pinky are basically not allowing me to pick up things. Once I pick up the phone I can just feel how different it is and weak I am. I feel like my other three fingers are still there but not sure for how long. The other two are starting to curl and I feel like I could be in some serious trouble now. Not to mention my right hand is becoming weaker. Both of my wrists have been stiff and now my hands just basically aren't working like they used to - it's really scary. I use my hands a lot at work so I know the difference. I have also had a cramp in my left foot going on two weeks with non-stop twitching in that foot. Is foot drop next?

What do you think? Should I be worried now? I was in a lot of pain early in my forearm and my legs. But now these issues come with no pain - just like yo say it starts. They just stopped working. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to help me. God bless.

That looks like the report of the nerve conduction study part of the test not the EMG. And that has nothing to do with ALS. If you are having issues call the doctor but what you posted again shows an issue that points away from ALS. This is not the place for you

Last edited:
Nikki I have read countless of your posts to people and I applaud you for helping everyone. I am sorry that you don't think this is a place for me but I have nowhere else to go. I am an athlete my whole life and I cannot run and cannot use my hands - I am scared. I started doing a lot better until I got to work and couldn't pick up the phone at my desk. And then I fell back down this scary road. My body just isn't right. The twitching, the cramping, the slurring, and the constant fatigue and yawning for 4 months has me scared. I am sorry but I figured someone like you could help me. Especially since now my hands just aren't working.

As Nikki said, what you have posted is the results of a Nerve Conduction Study, which is a completely different test than the EMG, although they are usually done at the same time. The EMG involves inserting small needles into the muscles. What were your results from the EMG? Reduced amplitude in your arms is likely due to a conduction block associated with cervical spinal problems such as degenerative disc problems or bone spurs (osteophytes). Left untreated, if the nerves are being infringed on, it can cause weakness. The problems you mention in your ring and pinky finger are very common symptoms in carpal tunnel syndrome and/or cubital tunnel syndrome.

What did your neurologist say? Was he worried about ALS or are you over-obsessing?

Many knowledgeable members responded to your last thread and told you that your symptoms do not sound like ALS,
that you need to get your anxiety under control and
that you do not belong on this Forum.

Sending us the summary of your NCS does not change any of that.

You are under the care of medical doctors. You need to let them figure out what is wrong, and leave this Forum

Nikki ... I am sorry that you don't think this is a place for me but I have nowhere else to go.

You must understand that being here is unhealthy for you, especially if you feel this way.

We are dealing with a terminal disease, please think about that, and what needs this means we have. You can find other places to go, you have been answered with good news and must move on.

Tell your doctor about your extreme anxiety as this is what is doing you in.

All the best

Well, apparently you can still type. Did the neuro offer any suggestions. I mean...you went to a certified physician trained to diagnose these things. Did the neuro mention any possibilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back