Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Lewisville
Hi, I'm a 35 year old man with a history of being overweight. I was 396 lbs before I stopped drinking all night and began working out regularly about 7 years ago. I dropped about 190 lbs within a year and a half and through the years have managed to maintain it give or take a fluctuation of about 20 lbs. still overweight but wouldn't say I was out of shape or anything. You have to stay active to maintain that kind of weight loss. Anyway, little background on me there before I get on with it.. In the last 2 years or so I've noticed muscle aches that have progressively gotten worse. At first I just figured I was being lazy and old age was getting the better of me so I started a lifting routine that I went about 12 weeks into and I was doing pretty good, getting more lean and was happy with the results although I was always in a lot of pain during and after workouts. Finally hurt my shoulder benching one day and had to lay off for a while. That was 6 months ago and since then my muscles have been getting smaller and smaller and really weak. Sometimes it hurts really bad just to get up and walk into the kitchen from the living room. Neck muscles tired from holding my head up. But if I just lay there and don't move most of the time the pain goes away. Anyway I went to my doc, who I've mentioned all this to before and he basically just told me its fibromyalgia, after no tests or anything. They sent me to a rheumatologist last year when it started affecting me more and that doctor basically touched some of my bones and said i don't have arthritis and put me on gabapentin which never had any effect on me. So anyway I don't know if I need to seek a new general practicioner or what because I think my doc just looks at me and sees a guy who needs to eat right and exercise and isn't taking me seriously even though I've told him I'm generally an active person with really no bad eating habits, just bad genes. I have twiching in my eyes a lot of the time too. I've read a lot about this disease as well as diseases that share similar symptoms but I've never actually spoken to anyone that has experience with any of these diseases. Just trying to figure it out cuz it seems to be getting worse and worse. Any advice would be appreciated.

Twitching is common and pain (aches) are not normally associated with the onset of als.

Please read the sticky note at the top of this forum titled "New Members: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!"

Most of your questions will be answered there. If they're not answered, then ask here.

:^)

There's no ALS there, NSTAT2. No way, no how, not at all.
You just didn't describe any symptoms of ALS.
As Greg said, all you answers are in the sticky post at the top of this subforum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back