Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Arizona
City
Scottsdale
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Two weeks ago i had a few bad panic attacks and saw my GP - got a full exam and was fine. Was prescribed Xanax and Zoloft.

A few days later I was running and came home and experienced some leg muscle faciculations; quite minor. The following day after walking around shopping and going for another run the faciiculations seemed to increase and were in right calf the most, maybe a few noticeable in the left. Frequency was a few times a minute in multiple areas of calf. This obviously caused a great deal of anxiety and I consulted Dr. Google; the worst idea as you all know.

The following days were filled with anxiety, web surfing, and any strength test I could do. i even became hyper sensitive to my walking, and began to think I was dragging my left foot. I started having muscle fac. in multiple areas of legs, thighs, back, arms, and the lip once or twice. All twitches are sparse, except for the legs, which seem most prevalent. I finally spoke to my GP and she ran more lab works for any connective tissue issues and all came back normal. To help calm my nerves she ten referred me to a neuro.

Saw the neuro the following day and he did a neurological exam and said that was normal. I reported no issues with balance or weakness. Muscle look symmetrical and and healthy. Reflexes as normal. He ordered an EMG to ensure, and I think calm my nerves, and a brain MRI (due to my sister having MS) just to rule that out.

Now I sit waiting to get the EMG and anxiety builds each day with more and more self tests. I get pains and aches in arms and legs, but with constant testing/flexing I'm most likely causing this. I rationally know that This should be anxiety, but today i measured my calfs and my left is .5 in smaller around than the other. Of course I now fear atrophy, as I am a 40 mile a week runner. I have never notices a smaller calf, but have never measured them before either.

I realize this is most likely anxiety but the fear just grips you. Total time between muscle first twitching and now is 11 days. Can symptoms build in such a short timeframe?

What symptoms? Seriously? Half an inch difference is nothing and normal read what the sticky says on twitching including quote from Orla hardiman. You had a normal neuro exam. You can run 40 miles a week none of that is ALS

1/2 inch? God, I wish.

My legs look like I was just released from a nazi concentration camp. That's atrophy. It also took months to happen.

I probably haven't walked 40 miles in the last two years.

Read the sticky (The one that says READ BEFORE POSTING). You won't find yourself there.

Work on the anxiety, forget als.

I'd like to specifically answer your question:
But since you don't have any symptoms, you don't really have a question.

You do have a problem. Fear. I suggest you leave this website--because it's toxic to be around dying people--and go to a website devoted to health anxiety. Seek good help there. And trust your doctors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back