Friend was DX
Country
NO
State
Østlandet
City
Oslo
Hi,

I have noticed that in my right hand, in the muscle below the little finger (so on the left side of the hand) there is a small divot that appears in the muscle that does not exist in the left hand. I've linked pictures of my right hand here:

Right hand (potential atrophy): https://imgur.com/gallery/kTJeeLk/new
Left hand (normal in my eyes): https://imgur.com/kTJeeLk,JvXUuai#1

As far as other symptoms go, I've always twitched a lot, for as long as I can remember, so that's not on my radar. I have seen a neurology about three months ago, he gave me a very intensive physical test that lasted two hours before coming to the conclusion that there was nothing to be afraid of. The test was given specifically with ALS in mind. I'd seen a general practitioner two months before the neurologist who told me that she was 100% sure I didn't have ALS (neuro said the same thing) but much time has elapsed, and in my opinion I'm starting to have actual symptoms in my right hand. It's working fine but feels a little bit clunky and slow, especially in the little finger, under which lies the divot in my skin which I fear is atrophy. Does this appear to be atrophy to you?

And no I have not had an EMG, but I had an MRI several months ago as well as blood work.

Thank you very much,
YGG

Geez.

A divot isn't atrophy.

My hands look like they should be on a skeleton, but with skin.

That's atrophy.

Thank you for your reply, I'm very sorry to hear about your hands :(

-Ygg

YGG: Importantly, in ALS, atrophy comes AFTER the muscle has been paralyzed, limp and useless for some weeks or months. As Greg says, you don't have atrophy. As your doctors have said, you don't have ALS.

UPDATE

it appears to be getting worse, with streaks forming from the skin directly underneath my little finger to the base of my hand, I can get a better camera angle if you'd like, still very scared.
http://i.imgur.com/DI57n9N.jpg

I don't see any cause for concern but you should be going to a doctor not posting pictures and asking opinions on the internet.

I am confused. Your profile says your forum interest is I am a friend of someone with ALS/MND yet we have heard nothing of this friend. Instead there is this thread which followed an initial post where you said you were a psychologist and proceeded to dispense medical advice to another member on managing health anxiety.
As a health professional you should know there is no value to you in a thread like this and your time should be spent pursuing a medical opinion. What is it you hope to accomplish here?

YGG: Nice photo. Not atrophy. I have EXACTLY the same appearance on my right hand, but not my left. It's normal. I do not have ALS.

Neither do you.

Observant, Yggdrasil is more than one person, I'm afraid I neglected to mention that, one person with whom I currently work has severe health anxiety and I'm trying everything I can to get it into his thick skull that he does not have ALS - currently we are working through all of the groups from whom he could seek reassurance, we've already tried doctors (didn't work), nurses (didn't work) and now as a last resort I am directing him towards those who are affected by ALS in some way or another. Yes, a a friend of mine died of ALS, and yes I did help care for him, I would be more than happy to answer any other questions, sorry for the confusion, and thank you for helping my client, though we'll see if this reassurance lasts.

You, the psychologist should know that this is not the way to conquer this fear and I feel that you have done this board a great disservice by encouraging this. You in your first post identified reassurance seeking as an unhealthy behavior. Although we attempt to answer questions as best we can that is not the main function here rather support of PALS CALS and loved ones. Of the 4 people who expended energy on this thread 3 of us have ALS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back