Country
US
State
MI
City
Detroit
So it has been a crazy 5 weeks.

Weeks 1 and 2:
I initially noticed my left pinky twitching softly driving home from work. An occasional flutter happens from time to time so I thought nothing of it. It happened for a few days in a row. Again, not much worry as from time to time it would happen especially I had worked out or over exerted my hands typing. The flutter was mainly in the left pinky, sometimes side of left arm or elbow and occurred once or twice a day.

In week 2 it kind of went nuts. All of a sudden I was getting multiple flutters/twitches every hour. Now I was freaking out a bit. I examined my life. My weight was high, my bp has been an issue, I wasn’t drinking any water and drinking lots of coffee. I think it was time to make a bit of a change. I committed to working out again, no more caffeine, and drinking half my bodyweight in water daily (or at least an attempt). Twitching in the left side in particular went down a fair bit and is back to being occasional.

WEEKS 3 and 4;
I started doing some dumbbell work again. Average workout nothing too crazy but enough to push me. My right hand started twitching in the usual parts. Again, didn’t freak out a lot but thought it was strange. Googled muscle twitches…and the anxiety started. I continued with my regimen, and the left hand twitches started reducing, the right slowed down and barely twitched (if at all). I thought that maybe my arthritic hands had something to with it. I started to add walking to the regimen pledging to walk 1.5-4.5 miles a day after work depending on my schedule. Walking is also a great way to bring down my anxiety or me. Ironically, this is where the anxiety got worse.

Quickly I found my muscles now being really tight after workouts. Muscle weakness wasn’t an issue as much as muscle recovery. I can still do the workouts easily but the next day….man stuff was tight and even a little weak. one day walking from my office to another building just felt weird. I felt burning in my arms even lifting fairly light things. Legs felt jelly like. Problem was nothing was really consistent. Lifting a Lunch box- no problem. Pushing a tack into a board for work…..instant burning. On top of that all my leg muscles started firing up. Twitches all over. Quads, feet, calves, it all twitched. Mainly my right side but hey, the left side had some love too. My legs also always felt on fire/racing/pulsing. Not painful but just always “on”

I was feeling tight and weak so I decided to take the week off from working out. I wasn’t feeling the “good tight” from a post workout perspective. I decided to add magnesium supplement and a promise to take my multivitamins daily (I tend to forget) to my regime.

This Week
Over last weekend I was getting killer toe pain. I went to the docs who diagnosed the toe as gout. I told him about my issues and I have an EMG and sleep apnea test scheduled. Doc thinks if I snore my muscles may be needing more oxygen. I definitely twitch more resting (the arms in particular) The twitching has calmed a fair bit and is more of an issue at rest. My weakness is largely gone and I resumed very light workouts this week. My first workout was a very simple 10 squats ,10 pushups, 20 sit ups. Nothing major, slight tightness the next day but was gone by evening. Did some dumbbell stuff yesterday and a good stretching routing and feel great today. The leg jellyness and tightness is almost gone but the twitching remains. Have gotten some light facial twitching the last few days but nothing major. Most of it is happening at night now.

I get some burning when I lift something but I really think it has more to do with how I lift and what muscles I engage vs the actual weight. There is no consistency in terms of twitch location and duration. Very randomized so it has been spreading so I get a little worried. even though i say i feel week i haven't had an issue lifting a single thing or doing my daily activities at this point. Motor skills are normal, balance is normal, ...or at least feel no different to me

I also started taking a B complex vitamin and my energy is even better now. I was even bouncing around yesterday doing some martial arts stuff and tossing my little son (2 years old) around.....in a safe way i promise.

I actually feel much better overall compared to when this all started. I even have the spring back in my step.

Of course the X factor is my anxiety and fear level over the past few weeks has been terrible because of Dr. Google. I am becoming hypersensitive to every little thing. I am scared to get a good workout in.

My EMG is in a couple weeks and I am just trying to stay calm. So yea....sorry for the length of this thing.

Please read the sticky. I think it addresses every one of your issues but you rambled so not sure. Doesn't sound like ALS to me. EMG will tell the tale

SERENITYNOW:
I cannot imagine why you would think any of your symptoms have anything to do with ALS.
Personally, I don't know how a doctor would bother with an EMG for those symptoms.
You really don't have ALS or anything like it. Dr Google says some pretty wild stuff!

Thanks all. The EMG probably has something to do with having ulner nerve issues in the past as well. My guy is very thorough too. Thanks for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back