Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
TN
City
CLeveland
I have hesitated even posting this (yes i read the stickie).. My mom was diagnosed in February - age 58 bulbar onset with FTD.. since her diagnosis i have had the twitches all over every day .. mostly though in my upper arms and calves.. my calves and legs are now tight and sore (no exercise) my hands feel so sore and hurt . and my feet feel like the weight 50 lbs and are very sore to walk , especially when i first get up.. could this be stress? or should we look into this being the beginning of FALS?

Hi Mandy
I am very sorry about your mum. Yes stress can do horrible things to our bodies

It is really common for family members of PALS to start experiencing strange symptoms and begin to fear ALS. For most people the harsh realities of ALS are not something they really knew a lot about before.

Should you worry about FALS? Your symptoms don't sound like ALS and if your mom is the only family member with this then you are not considered at increased risk. And the general risk for a young woman is extremely low. So no alarming symptoms and no increased risk. Please don't worry. But do take good care of yourself this is a diificult journey

Mandy, my son who is nearly 11, stresses constantly about a sore arm, a twitch, pins and needles.
I agree with Nikki about the symptoms in family members. My son is scared as he watches my progression and wants his fear for himself alleviated. Totally natural, when the PALS is someone close to you, like your mum.
As you take care of your mum, take care of you, too.
God bless, Janelle x

Thank you Nikki .. i was trying to figure out how to private message you and couldn't.. i knew you woudl know if anyone would...
Thanks Janelle...
I have always considered myself a great handler of stress. but this time not so much ... this disease is just horrible ( hugs to you both)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back