Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Fort Lauderdale
For about a week or two now I've been experiencing these muscles spasm/twitching/fasciculation. I'm not sure what the proper terminology is but it's like when your eyelid does an involuntary twitch and it moves by itself. I'm young, 26, 185 lbs pretty good health. Been getting them a lot in my inner thigh above both knees on both sides. At first it was more frequent on the right thigh, now it's on the left thigh. I noticed a few things like- It seems happens more often when I sit down rather then while I'm standing. I noticed in the mornings (during the the first 4-5 hours of my day) the twitching is minimal and it seems to intensify as night approaches. (The longer I'm awake?) I sip on water all day to maintain myself hydrated so I'm not sure if it's hydration related. I also get them in many different places like my biceps, my calf's, I even get twitches in my ear drums and (this is embarrassing) but even my anus twitches sometimes.

I've read up some pretty crazy stuff about ALS and other neurological diseases but I know the power of the mind and how anxiety can affect you so I've been trying to ignore it as much as possible. Admittedly it's difficult because it's something physical that occurs and is hard to ignore. I haven't experienced any pain or muscle fatigue. I can only assume that's a good thing. I can walk fine, lift things fine with no pain or weakness. Although I will say my legs are beginning to get a little "wobbly" feeling, specially when they twitch while I'm standing. (I'm still trying to decide if that's just me freaking) I have no medical insurance and I'm currently unemployed. I'm really trying to keep my sanity here- it's a little strange and it's starting to make me feel uneasy because I'm generally the type of person that will ignore something and let it pass. But after almost two weeks, going on three now, I'm a little damn worried about what's going on upstairs. I was reading about how it could be lack of potassium or magnesium, but I've been eating bananas, potatoes and carrots for the last few days almost religiously to see if it would have any effect. Like I said, I'm pretty healthy, I take multi vitamins, I exercise when I can. another thing I wanted to mention, not sure if it's a big factor or not but- I do smoke marijuana. But I have not smoked in about two weeks a little before the symptoms started. I should definitely get check out but how silly is it for me to walk into an emergency room like "Oh hey, my muscles are twitching. I just want to make sure I don't have some neurological disease". Any recommendations or advice?

I apologize in advance. I've read the sticky on ALS- but I was looking for more insight on what it could be, or how I can proceed as far as my financial position goes.

A lot of people twitch. Not so much when we're kids, but we twitch when we get older. It's kind of amazing that people discover twitches and then come to an ALS forum. You described normal human body behavior.

As we're not doctors, we can't give you insight on what it could be. Frankly, I wouldn't bother with a doctor. But many people say their anxiety causes twitching, so you might speak with a psychiatrist.

A lot of people twitch. Not so much when we're kids, but we twitch when we get older. It's kind of amazing that people discover twitches and then come to an ALS forum. You described normal human body behavior.

As we're not doctors, we can't give you insight on what it could be. Frankly, I wouldn't bother with a doctor. But many people say their anxiety causes twitching, so you might speak with a psychiatrist.

I understand it's normal to some degree I just thought at the frequency in which it's occurring that it would warrant some attentiveness in some form or fashion, no? So you think I should just perhaps wait it out and not see a Doctor?

At what point should I be concerned? If I should be concerned at all for that that matter?

Atsugi made it quite clear. Per his last two sentences: don't bother with a Doc but consider a psychiatrist.

Twitching is common. That's the closest you come to als and you're not even in the ballpark.

Rejoice.

Don't give als another thought. There is no answer for you here.

Get checked out if you like, but I'd do it in an office setting, not the ER -- much cheaper. Many cities have sliding scale or free clinics.

"A week or two" isn't long after you say you last smoked -- could be a relationship, or not. If you don't perceive that the twitches keep you from walking, running, jumping, bending and exercise, realize that those are the times when you are less within yourself and less likely to "notice" them. Which means they are not functional. Your ear drum cannot twitch, so that's another clue.

I'd mix up some smoothies (didn't notice calcium, another essential, seldom absorbed well from vitamins, in your list) and chill for another week or so, while using your five senses to the max. Since you're unemployed, you may be hanging out lots @home and that can bring stuff like this on. Go to some free outdoor noisy concerts, street fairs, flea markets and the like, and consider volunteering in a similar environment. Get outside yourself, and I'll bet the twitches will find another home. If not, you can get them checked out. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back