Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
SC
City
Columbia
Hello all,

I first want to say that I appreciate all of you who choose to respond as I know it takes time and effort. So here I go. I am a 24yr male in ok physical condition. It first started with a slight flicker of my eyelids back in September '14 and then quickly moved to my legs, specifically my calves. My calves pretty much twich nonstop and they are visible almost all the time. I can feel it happening as well. However there are times where my calves seem to not be twitching at all. Lately though I have begun to get worried about the possibility of ALS and would really like someone's opinion. I have an appointment with a neurologist in two weeks but the uncertainty is taking over my life and I find it extremely hard to get things done. I have generalized twitching pretty much everywhere. Mainly in my upper shoulder, face, sometimes in my neck, but mainly in my calves like I stated before. I don't have any problems gripping anything yet or exercising. Sometimes my thighs twitch consistantly for hours then suddenly they'll stop and some other part of the thigh or my body will begin to twitch. I occaisionally have a whole leg or arm just jerk too. I went and talked to my chiropractor and he said everything looked normal and a doctor at a local emergency clinic checked my basic reflexes and didn't really see anything abnormal. I've also checked my own hoffman response and had a friend check babinski which both were normal. However, I keep finding things that look consistant with ALS. However typing seems slightly more difficult than it used to be (I'm making more mistakes) and I've also noticed that my left thumb is smaller than my right thumb. Specifically, there seems to be more webbing around the base of the thumb however it is completely functional and I am able to do any normal activity that would require my left thumb (pressing buttons, holding items, etc.) Can anyone offer their advice? I know no one is a doctor but any insight that could possibly help calm my nerves or get me one step closer to knowing whats wrong with me would help. I read the sticky but I also know everyone's case of ALS is different so if you can offer anything that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

The sticky is our official stand on ALS.

If you read something different elsewhere we won't debate it, we took the time and effort to create the sticky instead.

The great news is that even though you feel you are finding things consistent with ALS I did not read even one single thing in your post that sounds even a tiny bit like ALS. I'm so happy to tell you this as I read your post very carefully and you gave a detailed explanation of what is happening with you.

You have a lot of anxiety around this health issue and I can understand that. You can go back to your doctor while you are waiting for the neurologist appointment and explain how anxious you are and receive some help with that.

Staying off sites like this will now become one of the best things you can do for yourself.

All the best

Thanks you so much for such a timely response. I actually am making an appointment with my gp about my anxiety because its continued to get progressively worse. Thank you so much for your input and reassurance. I hope you have wonderful day.

All the best you too.

Thanks for being so thorough in your detailed description of your symptoms.
You don't have ALS or anything close to it. No way, no how.
It does seem that you might have an anxiety issue, though, causing every bit of this.
Good luck.

(And never rely on a chiropractor to diagnose medical conditions. You might end up dead but properly aligned.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back