Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
VA
City
Wytheville
Hi! I'm new to this forum. My father was diagnosed with ALS in 1999 and passed away in 2001. He is the only member of his family to have had ALS. He is one of seven children. His parents did not have the disease and none of his siblings have developed it. I'm an only child, I'm 26 years old, and I am absolutely terrified of this disease. I have a five year old son and that only heightens my fear. Due to my father being the only one in the family to have ALS, what are the chances of it still being FALS? Doctors stated his was sporadic but no genetic testing was done.

Read the sticky in the FALS subforum
Sorry about your dad. Don't worry

TS: Not to worry. One person in the family was sporadic. Two would be a problem, but you're not the second. Don't worry about this disease. You're probably going to die of old age like most everybody else.

It's very common for those of us who had a family member die of ALS to worry terribly about this disease. But the fact is, it's rare. Even if you had a family member with it, does NOT mean that you are at increased risk. That's why the doctors won't even test for it, even in your case.

Trust us, we know ALS pretty well, and you don't need to worry. Enjoy your family. Enjoy your life.

Thank you. This forum has helped me immensely. I just needed some advice from other people in the ALS community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back