Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New Jersey
City
Hillsdale
Hello I am 19 years old and a freshman in college. It all started in october when I started to get random headaches. They lasted for several weeks. Then one weekend in early November I came home and started experiencing ringing in my ears. The monday going back to school is when weird symptoms occurred. I felt twitches all over my body, I was very shaky. I noticed when I would be in a squatting position my legs would shake and if I was leaning on one leg or in other positions I would notice my legs shaking. The shakiness and twitching scared the hell out of me and ever since I am convinced there is something wrong with me. I went to the emergency room due to my headaches and shakiness and they did a CT scan it was normal. They referred me to a neurologist in December and he did blood work and an MRI of my head and everything was normal. Some other symptoms I have experienced are shortness of breath easier. For example if I walk from one side of the room to the other I feel my heart beating fast and feel slightly out of breath. I have had neck pain for years now that radiates to my lower back, but never mentioned that to my doctor. The thing that is really worrying me lately is my arms and hands get tired very easily. For example if I am on the phone my arm gets tired within seconds. When I write my hand gets very tired quickly. I feel like my hands and fingers are very weak and shaky. When I run I feel like my legs get tired and sometimes have pain in my legs after. I have had some issues with health anxiety always convincing I have something extremely wrong with me. Overall I have no idea what the hell is wrong, but ALS is defiantly on my mind do to twitching in my arms and legs, shakiness and weakness in my hands, arms and fingers. The burning feelings like I have just completed a workout with simple tasks such as eating with a fork or holding a cell phone to my ear is scaring me. Any ideas you may have would be greatly appreciated thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't want to hear about your problems below the equator. You must think this place is a joke. It isn't to those of us who have ALS or have a family member with it. You are the lowest of the lows. You have something really wrong with you all right. Just point blank stupidity. I don't really care if the moderators get after me for this response. I had enough b.s. !

I generally wouldn't put things the way Skipper does when you make her angry, but I can't disagree with her sentiment here.

Nothing you mentioned should have brought you to an ALS/MND forum. You sound like you have good medical care and have been checked out well, and I'm sure neither of them was worried you have ALS. Go in peace, get your head straigtened out, and your basic health with your PCP.

worried

I am generally worried about ALS or possibly another neurological disease. I started having shakiness and twitches about 5 months ago. Then one thing led to another I started getting shortness of breath quicker then normal and sometimes feel like its difficult to breath. The past month I feel weakness in my fingers and hands, at times holding my cell phone can be difficult at times. When I write my hand gets tired very easily. Holding my phone to my ear makes my arm burn and often need to switch hands. I don't even play video games anymore just because my fingers feel weak. I lift weights and can still lift my normal weight, but I have noticed that during a workout once I put the weight down after a set my hands and fingers shake a little more then normal. The only reason why I think ALS is a possibility it because of the shakiness and weakness in my fingers and hands. This hole perceived weakness thing is scary. I have heard people with ALS have clinical weakness which is completely different. I do not have any clinical weakness, but am worried that my perceived weakness could lead to clinical weakness. Also I am only 19 years old.

Re: worried

You were told by Tokahfang one of the moderators that your symptoms give you no reason to think of ALS. I echo her. What you describe is not ALS onset. ALS weakness is indeed completely different. Whether you have medical issues beyond anxiety we can not say. Please follow up with your doctor for answers but do not continue to ask here. You will not get us to say anything different

Re: worried

Thank you for your reply. Since Im 19 years old I did find it quite odd to think this could be ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back