Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ny
City
howell
Hey all, I am amid 20s male who has done heavy weightlifting all of my life. I have had a history of lower back pain since 2008 due to being stupid with lifting. anyway, my ack pain was mostly under control until end of 2014(which ill get to) anyway, in september 2014 i noticed a lot of things changed. at the bgeinning i started getting TMJ symptoms, then I was in the gym working my legs out with very heavy weight, and on the last rep my inner quad twitched and since then ihave had leg weakness and atrophy in that leg(september 2014). the other leg also developed the same symptoms. my condition started to improve with physical therapy, and stupidly i tried working out again in decemer of 2014. i then injured my back and made my legs worse. I should also note that i started getting chest pain before this too. I have gotten spasms in the arms, and thighs like i read on als. I also according to the neurosurgeon i saw have hyperreflexia and clonus. as far as mri tests, my quadriceps are normal, my cervical and thoracic spine are normal. my lumbar spine has a moderate herniation at l5 s1. I have had an emg and the neurologist who did that said it was normal and told me i was fine, and to live with this pain. I dout he was competent though, because hyperflexia is neurological....

anyway, my neurosurgeon(never had surgery just consulted) wants me to see the neurologist at his building...so im guessing another emg.

idk if this terrible year has been my body being injured, or if i have als. my knees hurt, my legs hurt, my whole spine hurts, my pecs hurt. i still have retained my muscle mass though in upper body. legs not so much...my hand strength is still good though, can close strong grippers that most others can't.

Don't freak out. I have had 5 back surgeries and the nerves really affect everything from walking to urinating and bowel movements. The neurologist may be able to better locate where the nerves are impinged and/or damaged. As one who overdid things to soon after surgery, please be patient and follow the doctors/physical therapists instruction REGARDLESS of how good you feel. Go see the neurologist and don't get ahead of yourself or the doctors. No use borrowing worry that is probably misplaced.
Doug

First read the sticky for the do I have ALS subforum. Do not say you did before posting as it tells you not to post out of the DIHALS subforum if you are undiagnosed. Hyperreflexia is not necessarily pathological. You have a herniated disc which would be a cause of weakness and twitching and even atrophy ( was that diagnosed by a physician or self observed?). You had a normal EMG and a neurologist said you were fine. You improved until you reinjured yourself. This is not the way ALS acts

Please read the sticky note at the top of this forum titled "New Members: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!"

Had you read this sticky you would see that your reports of pain have nothing to do with ALS. ALS is about failing not feeling.

Atrophy comes after your muscles lose their controlling neurons and DOES NOT improve with physical therapy.

Go see the neurologist and get a 2nd EMG, if it makes you feel better, as you seem to believe that you and Google know more than the first neurologist. But don't be surprised when ALS is ruled out.

Thanks kmndug ;) i actually never had back surgery..just saw the surgeon for a consult. this past year has been hell...from my legs going weak, to my back going dead, to my knees now hurting. the hyperreflexia is scary too, and i jsut can't find a reason why this is happening as all my tests are normal!

sorry, i just joined the forum..i made a mistake by not reading. i improved initially with one leg, but the whole body has started going downhill and im obviously not fine if the neurosurgeon i saw has told me i have hyperreflexia and i can barely walk according to him. he told me he was very concerned about motor diseases. as far as my disc herniation, it is at l5 s1 which does not affect these nerves according to my doctors. do you want me to move this to the other forum?

i sometimes get spasms in my muscles too..i used to think this was from my lifting, but i havent lifted in a month or two! luckily i still have decent upper body strength.

The EMG is abnormal in ALS. It is considered the gold standard in diagnosing ALS. Not all abnormalities on an EMG are ALS but if it is normal then ALS is considered to be ruled out.

The EMG is abnormal in ALS. It is considered the gold standard in diagnosing ALS. Not all abnormalities on an EMG are ALS but if it is normal then ALS is considered to be ruled out.

Nice! I still wonder hoe thorough the neuro i saw was..ive heard emgs are dependent. there is SOMETHING going on with my body..plus i have nerve compression from the l5, so it should have shown up when he put the needles there. ill see what the new neuro monday says. i dont think i have als, but keeping myself open to all diagnoses.
ive been watching vids on als, devastating illness =(

The good news is, you don't have ALS.
We know ALS pretty well, but we're not doctors so we can't diagnose anything else.
Good luck finding your answers elsewhere.

No doctors would be seeing any patients in Australia on Easter Monday, guess the US is different.

they better see me, i have had this appt for a month lol. im actually seeing an ortho surgeon monday, and a neuro tuesday.

i cant help but still be worried that i have a motor neuron disease. from what i know hyperreflexia is caused by two things...spinal cord or brain. my cord is not compressed, so why again do people think i have no als?

im happy with your opinions just want to understand it

In ALL of your posts, you didn't mention one single symptom of ALS.
Your EMG and your neurologist said you were fine. Trust them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back