Learn about ALS
Country
Sg
State
Singapore
City
Singapore
Dear Forum members,

I read the sticky and searched a lot in the internet, still I am not sure if I can exclude I have MND.

That's my story. My symptoms started in the left hand around 2 1/2 years ago. First some uncontrollable muscle movement and then 6 month later the atrophy was visible. I went to neurologist, he made EMG, thyroid test.He said everything Ok and gave me vitamins and send me to physiotherapist and acupuncture. Six month later no improvement the muscle palm, between index finger and thumb and backside of the hand became weaker, sometimes fingertips were a bit numb. Then I went to chiropractic after 6 month treatment and a lot of exercises the uncontrollable muscle movement stopped. All muscles in the arm had been hard, now they are soft. I also have a pain point on my back close to the spine since few years, nobody saw a connection between hand an this point so far.

Because of no muscle built up I we to a hand surgeon last Friday. He made an EMG and said it is consistent with motor neuron disease. I was shocked. Did not ask many questions.

Is just the left hand, up the wrist full strength. Both ulnar and median nerve no response, but full felling in the hand.

What is your opinion, could it be MND?

Thanks for your advise,

Philip

Could be Hirayama disease, among other things. If so, one of the "best" MNDs you could have.

Hi Igelb,

Thanks for the reply. I feel a bit better now. I was afraid I have ALS. Do you think I can exclude it? Or can it even with this slow progression and stabilisation be ALS?

Given that it has not progressed any further think Laurie could certainly be right, especially if you are a young male. If it is that it is likely it will get no worse at this point. You need to see a neurologist who specializes in neuromuscular disease and find out. It would be very unusual for ALS to stay so localized after all this time

Last edited:
Hi Nikki,
Thanks for your reply. I am a male 36 years old. I was really worried. I scheduled another appointment with a neurologist. Might be just not so easy to find one who specializes in neuromuscular disease in Singapore. If anyone has a good tip, who know a doctors network, would be nice.

Otherwise, you guys doing a great job in this forum. I hope you all have a great day and feel good today.

Try the National neuroscience institute in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back