Other
Country
US
State
California
City
San Clemente
Hi,
I am a 34 year old female and about six months ago I started having strange symptoms. My tongue feels large (not visibly large) and my muscles feel tired/fatigued. This has caused me some anxiety. My hands feel "different" (mostly my right hand) and I have had twitching all over my body, mostly in my shoulder. To top it off, I have unexplained foot pain (feels like tight muscles) that moves around my feet and ankles and my hands go in and out of feeling stiff. I am hyper-reflexive (according to 3 neurologists), which they said I may always have been. I have been tested via MRI for MS and had an EMG and nerve conduction test. Everything came back normal. Yesterday I saw a post about hand atrophy and looked at the pictures and realized my left hand (not dominant) looks just like the picture (the fleshy part under the thumb). If the EMG is normal, would this be atrophy or perhaps I am seeing my hand different for the first time? I have gone to a neurologist who told me i dont have ALS, but is it too early that they could have missed it? Additionally, my eye muscles have felt REALLY tight lately, I went to an opthamologist and she didnt see anything (not sure if this would be ALS related). I understand this is an incredibly important forum and I dont want to waste anyone's time, but should I be concerned? ALS does not run in my family.

Thanks for your time!

I should also mention that my arms and hands shake when i use them.

The majority of your symptoms appear to be sensory. That is not ALS plus a normal EMG and three neurologists finding nothing but hyperreflexia which is common especially if someone is anxious. Not ALS If you had atrophy there is no way 3 neurologists would miss it. What was their diagnosis?

They told me they would retest me again in six months, but that I didnt have ALS. I am a worrier, they did two MRIs to rule out MS. When those came back negative they were a little reluctant to see me. The pain in my feet scares me a lot and the twitching isnt helping. I read in the section posted on this site that a normal EMG means no ALS. is that accurate all the time? If an EMG is normal, is it possible to have atrophy? I just noticed the hand issue yesterday so no neurologist has seen my hands in a while. I appreciate your help and time!

does the shaking make you nervous?

34, nothing you write about makes us nervous. You don't have ALS, and that's GREAT news. I'm sorry, but we can't help you with the rest of your symptoms. We have been swamped with people who don't have ALS and honestly it makes it difficult for us to find time to support each other. I sincerely hope that you find reassurance and no further symptoms, but any other questions you have need to be addressed to your doctors. Best of luck!

Thank you for your candid response. I appreciate it. Again, thank you for the feedback.

Nikki,
I read in another post that your ALS started in your leg and you needed different shoes for more support. Did you notice this due to foot pain? My foot pain (in both feet) is what has made me extremely worried in connection with the twitching. I have also felt like my right foot (dominate side) has started getting smaller. Is this similar to your situation?

Thank you.

34andscared, when you get a chance while not adding to your Thread here please read the first subject on the previous page,

Sticky: New Members: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!
Dusty7

Read it slowly and all of it.

Not at all. I have no pain and no change in size. I noticed it due to falling because my leg is weak

My tongue has felt swollen (though it visibly isn't) and it twitches in my mouth (the tip of it). Also my arms and legs feel fatigued and shake when used. I also get twitching in the corners of my eyes. Does this sound like facial onset or just anxiety?

Do you also suffer from anal irritation? Nasal polyps?

You're recycling already mentioned symptoms an tossing in new ones.
Give it up. You've been answered.

And before you ask about the next batch read the sticky note at the top of this forum titled "New Members: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!"

I also saw in another section that someone diagnosed and feet and toe pain, as I do. Should I be concerned?

I don't understand your first two questions. Assuming just sarcasm, but are you saying those are symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back