Reason
Other
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I know this is a little verbose but please read this if you think you have ALS -- especially if you're twitching...

About a year ago, I started twitching and got the ALS scare from a bad Google search. I tried going to the aboutbfs.com forums for some healthy reassurance that it was nothing, but due to spam issues, I found out that the site takes awhile before your account is validated. I wanted answers now, though, so I found myself over here at the ALSforums.

Bad idea.

I read some of the stories of the PALS here and convinced myself I had ALS. I shut down. I quit my job, lost all my friends, and found myself having panic attacks daily for months completely alone while developing all sorts of new neurological "symptoms". What's worse is that I was now incessantly bugging people who actually had this horrible disease to try and qualm my own fears like a selfish a$$.

Just recently have I been able to slowly convince myself that I'm not dying. I've ruined a good portion of what were supposed to be some of the best years of my life (my 20s), and I don't want other people to go through the same.

So, I've decided to start an alternative community for those like me: "The BFS Forums". I've just launched the site and have invested a lot of time, money, and energy into it because this is something I care about. I also am an Emory alumni and have connections with the medical school (well-known for its ALS clinic and for being on the cutting-edge of drug design) and am talking to some neuros to do some articles and answer some forum questions to help calm people's fears. Registration is instantaneous, so please, if you're twitching or having weird symptoms and think you have ALS, get off here and come over.

Mods, sorry if this is too self-promotional. But I really don't think this is the place for people with ALS fears to be. It definitely wasn't for me.

You are right about BFS destroying people's lives with anxiety, so I let the post through, sans links

I am curious though, why not post under the account you made here originally?

You are right about BFS destroying people's lives with anxiety, so I let the post through, sans links

I am curious though, why not post under the account you made here originally?

It's one of those "washing my hands of" type things. I don't ever want to login to that account again. My username was 'veryscared3303', if I recall correctly.

Dbcitizen, you are to be applauded! Maybe we can send scared and anxious DIHALS your way. We have had scores of young people coming here ever since the ALS Bucket Challenge brought awareness to this disease. You are exactly right about bad Google searches. That's the world we live in now...information at our fingertips and sometimes that info just feeds unwarranted fears. Good luck in your new endeavor! Glad your own anxiety has turned into something so positive! Blessings!

Db - I have an appointment tomorrow morning at 8am with dr glass

Hi bdcitizen,

I'm so glad you are doing this. What's the link as I searched for The BFS Forums and a different site came up.

Although you get given the all clear on here by other PALS, the mind still thinks 'What If' every once in a while when the twitching starts up again and it will be good to have an alternate place to go then here because that's when the doubts and anxiety start up again.

Jo.

You're in the best of hands, then.

Yes, Dr Glass was awesome. He said "If the concern is ALS, I don't think that's what it is. I would like to re-evaluate you in four months though."

He said another EMG at this point wouldn't make sense and gave me a diagnosis of Parsonage-Turner Syndrome. Hopefully that stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back