Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Corning
About 5 months ago I started getting muscle twitches. Started with my triceps and now get them all over. Shortly thereafter walking down stairs I felt like I had no muscle strength in my quads. It's progressed to lifting weakness in chewing, smiling, as well as numbness with my face and tongue and just extreme fatigue. I get tingling all over too, kind 9f lime goose bumps. Just had MRI of my brain which was normal. I am being referred to a neurologist. What should I expect at neurologist? I'm scared about not being taken seriously.

A neurologist will perform an EMG. This will let you know that you don't have ALS. In my opinion, your symptoms point away from it. You have twitching all over, that's not how ALS starts. If there is twitching , it usually begins in one area that is fully affected by the disease. Only about 5% of ALS onset begins with just twitching. For some reason (google!) people on this subforum think that's what ALS is all about. Numbness and tingling are not symptoms of ALS. And your weakness is perceived. In ALS, muscles just don't work. If there is weakness, it comes after the disease has progressed significantly, like the advanced PALS you read about on this forum. Have you read the sticky at the top of this subforum? It will give you a wealth of information and calm your fears. Good luck!

Thank you! I did read it. Google can be a horrible thing sometimes. I have an appointment coming up with a neurologist and will hopefully get my questions answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back