Reason
Other
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Clemente
I am dealing with an illness and neurological symptoms now for two months, and I am trying to determine what is going on... ALS? MS? peripheral neuropathy? something else?

About two months ago, I came down with a mild three day virus, and then thought I pulled a leg muscle. My upper right thigh became very inflamed, swollen and warm - it then spread to my left thigh. I was negative for DVT in two ultrasounds but my d-Dimer was slightly elevated. Superficial phlebitis? cellulitis?

A few days later, and while on antibiotics, I began developing severe weakness. Since then, I've endured significant muscle wasting and then neurological symptoms that include numbness of fingers and toes, tremors in my fingers, and now what seems to be some loss of fine motor control in my hands.

After several CT scans, only one abnormal finding - which now has me dealing with a prostate biopsy and likely prostate (probably contained) cancer.

I don't know if I'm suffering from some long lasting virus involving my central nervous system, if I have a toxic reaction to the antibiotics, or all of this is coincidental to something like ALS or MS.

I'm 55 and was extremely healthy prior to this happening. My concern and why I'm visiting the ALS forum is that the weakness, muscle atrophy, numbness, finger twitching, and impaired fine motor control of my fingers seems to be progressing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Numbness is not generally a symptom and especially when you are reporting symptoms in all extremities it does not sounds like ALS. Obviously your doctors are working on this. I would think an antibiotic reaction would be likely especially if you were on a quinolone and or metronidazole but others could cause this too. Post viral is also a strong possibility. Also there is something called paraneoplastic syndrome. It sounds like it will take time to sort it out. What did the doctor say?

Thanks for the response, Nikki... I've actually changed PCP's to a concierge practice to get more personalized service. We are looking at all sorts of possibilities, including ME/CFS from a virus and cipro toxicity. The fatigue started while on Bactrim and Keflex for potential cellulitis, but the neuro symptoms started after being prescribed Cipro for possible prostatitis. No prostatitis, just likely prostate cancer. And now I have to take Keflex and Rocephin for the biopsy - which is scary. Seeing a neuro today, and hoping that can provide more answers. The reason I've been considering ALS or MS is due to the rapid muscle wasting and the neuro symptoms. The numbness is certainly there - but the finger tremors and diminished fine motor skills (such as with typing) are perplexing. I do appreciate the response - as I'm just trying to whittle through the possibilities - none of which are great right now.

I simply had weakness with no Numbness and no pain. I think you're one of those medical mysteries but it doesn't sound like ALS. Oh by the way seven years after first symptom I'm in a power chair and have somebody with me all the time. Good luck in finding your answers.
Hollister

You say you came down with a virus, that is critical I formation for your neurologist to know, ask about Guiilian Barr virus and get tests for it if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back